Yellowfoot substrate- working well

Meganolvt

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi all- I have tried EcoEarth (didnt like it, got bugs immediately), just hay, and just dirt so far in my guy's enclosure. He is not a digger, and prefers to sit under something rather than down into something. Hay alone was ok since I changed it about every other day, but that got old fast. What is working for me is a layer of potting soil and a sprinkling of hay. He uses his water dish to go to the bathroom, so it has stayed pretty clean. The enclosure is a wood base with plexiglass sides, and so far the humidity has stayed between 70-80%, which is good. The substrate is thin enough that i hasn't caused any rotting (so far anyway). This wouldn't work for other tort species, but for my yellowfoot, it is working well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad it's working for you, however, hay is very drying and molds quickly. I would forget the hay and just use dirt. Btw, if you bake the coir, it holds off the bugs for a long time.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Never had a bug problem with your . I add leaves to my red foots enclosures . They love hiding in them . Plus they hold humidity .