Hay as a substrate for Redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
I'm still working on my enclosure for my upcoming Redfoot purchase, and see hay as a substrate for some other species of torts. How about for the redfoot? Can't wait to finally get one. 2 weeks of building and research so far......at least another week to go.
This set of forums has been so valuable for info. Good stuff.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hay is not a good substrate for redfoots. From what I read redfoots require humidity. Your best choice would be a mix of soil and sand. I don't have redfoots, so I am sure others will chime in soon though.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
You are correct about the humidity requirements for redfoots, Jen. They require 70-80% humidity at all times to be happy and healthy. The best substrate to use for redfoots is cypress mulch and long fibered sphagnum moss. These have a tendency to hold humidity quite well :D

old4x4

10 Year Member!
tortania said:
cypress mulch and long fibered sphagnum moss. These have a tendency to hold humidity quite well :D

Is this something that will be difficult to obtain? The sand/soil thing I can do.
How about that coconut fiber substrate?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have heard of people having problems with bugs in coconut fibre. If your RF is a yearling or younger, I suggest the long fiber sphagnum moss. Older I use an organic hardwood mulch or a finer shredded cypress mulch. I use the sphagnum in all their hides.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
You can find the long fibered sphagnum moss any place that carries gardening supplies or a gardening center ;)

old4x4

10 Year Member!
tortania said:
You can find the long fibered sphagnum moss any place that carries gardening supplies or a gardening center ;)

Tortania...thank you! I have a garden center very nearby. I'm also going to get some coconut fiber substrate.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
That would look really nice, but if you want to save some $$$, you can use the long fibered sphagnum moss through out the whole enclosure :)

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm currently using sphagnum moss for the two baby redfoots I have for sale in the classifieds. It's great for humidity and they love to burrow and hide in it!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Long fibered sphagnum moss(Mosher Lee brand) is the best. The coconut fiber has given me some problems with fungus on their plastrons so out it went.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cypress mulch is like 2.50 for a huge bag.... cant get much cheaper then that. Cypress is all I use. I hate using dirt or sand. dirt/sand combo is heavy, smelly and hard to clean. With cypress you can just toss out the old stuff and put some fresh bedding in every week. Keeps the redfoots very very happy.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
old4x4 said:
I'm still working on my enclosure for my upcoming Redfoot purchase, and see hay as a substrate for some other species of torts. How about for the redfoot? Can't wait to finally get one. 2 weeks of building and research so far......at least another week to go.
This set of forums has been so valuable for info. Good stuff.

These 'set-ups' have worked for "SEVERAL" different owner's of redfoots.. [ a few right here ] as well as SEVERAL that I have hatched and raised for going on 10 years.. http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Per age/size.. http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

That huge bag is 2 cu. liters.. BTW

Dreamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm using the coconut fiber, & yes it will go out as soon as I can find some cyprus mulch, per Terrys suggestion!
I am using the moss as my guys hide substrate, & she really mixes it all up! LOL The moss also does not mess
up their water dish as bad, & is easily dipped out. Was planing on using a soil mixture for my inside tort table as
to plant. But am going with pots now!
Kay

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Redfootedboxturtles said:
Cypress mulch is like 2.50 for a huge bag.... cant get much cheaper then that. Cypress is all I use. I hate using dirt or sand. dirt/sand combo is heavy, smelly and hard to clean. With cypress you can just toss out the old stuff and put some fresh bedding in every week. Keeps the redfoots very very happy.

2.50 a bag for cypress mulch? Where do you get that? Up here in Washington state it is hard to find. I did manage to find some and it $10 a bag!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Can you find hardwood mulch or even aspen bedding ? I use hardwood mulch (cheaper here than cypress but essentionally the same).

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would check out your hardware stores for the moss and the cypress or hardwood mulch. They are much cheaper than pet stores. Lowes or Home Depot ususally carry it especially for their Orchids.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hello! man i got a dumb but simple question. cypress mulch is the one they sell at loews/home depot is extremely dirty like pain dirt with little pieces of cypress so it that ok? same one right guys? this video is what i mean the cypress mulch looks more like dirt at home depot. input please http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9Pbw5QGgE&feature=related

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
jasso2 said:
hello! man i got a dumb but simple question. cypress mulch is the one they sell at loews/home depot is extremely dirty like pain dirt with little pieces of cypress so it that ok? same one right guys? this video is what i mean the cypress mulch looks more like dirt at home depot. input please http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9Pbw5QGgE&feature=related

Hmm...that is interesting. The cypress ulch I pick up tends to have alot of large pieces in it and very little, little pieces. LOL

So, that is a good question afterall. Do we want large or small cypress pieces? Sorry I am not able to answer your question, but hopefully someone will.

ARkelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I prefer the finer grade for hatchlings thru 4 " and the courser for larger. With the finer the little guys seem to burrow or pallets (nests) easier.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Itort said:
I prefer the finer grade for hatchlings thru 4 " and the courser for larger. With the finer the little guys seem to burrow or pallets (nests) easier.

Honestly, I did not even know one had a choice. The garden center I go to has 3 different brands of cypress mulch, but they never say fine or course on it. I've looked at all 3 and they all seem to be on the course side.

How does one find the finer grade?

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.