young hermann's shell

theodorejr

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Bless you! Don’t worry this can all soon get rectified! You’re in the right place now for the best advice moving forward❤️
If you can’t find an exact fit, I’m not sure if your table can be removed from its stand? If so get a topper that’s slightly bigger and place like this maybe? Just put some lining under your base and cover to avoid the condensate on your floor, hope this helps!
Keep us in the loop with your progress😊
Yes im able to remove it from the stand, i only put it on there because of my cat but with the cover its also safe from here, even tho she doesn't do anything but i wanted to be safe. I will definitely start now doing my best for the proper humidity and will update everyone!! can't wait for my little one to have his best life

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yes im able to remove it from the stand, i only put it on there because of my cat but with the cover its also safe from here, even tho she doesn't do anything but i wanted to be safe. I will definitely start now doing my best for the proper humidity and will update everyone!! can't wait for my little one to have his best life
Wishing you and your little one all the best here, I’m sure you’ll have things set in no time! Look forward to your update🥰

theodorejr

Austria
Also, you have mentioned T10 fluorescent strips. Was a typo? These are really rare (and old, I guess) lamp types comparing to T8 and T5 lamps. Can you share a lamp label/box or link to what lamps do you use? I have a bad feeling, that they don't provide enough UVB.
sorry english isn't my first language, here's the uvb i use, ( i meant t5 10.0 not t10)

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
i use two of them because one is only 55cm, should i continue using two?
No, it's not necessary. You need to provide UVB over basking zone. The second hood can be, probably, repurposed as an ambient light fixture (I've seen LED T5 replacement tubes, yet didn't use them so can't tell if it's a feasible option).

If you can't get a greenhouse - you can build a frame out of wood or PVC pipes.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
i use two of them because one is only 55cm, should i continue using two?
Tbh I think with the size you have currently, judging by the photos of your enclosure, you’ll be fine having just the one running, they don’t need to run the entire length🙂
I’d keep the one that’s more on the basking end, that way your little guy will be getting his uv whilst having a bask😊
It’s good for them to have a slightly shadier end to retreat to if they wish👍 least you’ll have a spare uv for when you need to next replace it then too which is a bonus

theodorejr

Austria
No, it's not necessary. You need to provide UVB over basking zone. The second hood can be, probably, repurposed as an ambient light fixture (I've seen LED T5 replacement tubes).

If you can't get a greenhouse - you can build a frame out of wood or PVC pipes.
okay thank you! i will look for an ambient light fixture. I already found a greenhouse that is suitable, the enclosure i build for the tort is out of an ikea shelf and now that i will have high humidity all around it, is there any possibility to prevent it from molding?

theodorejr

Austria
Tbh I think with the size you have currently, judging by the photos of your enclosure, you’ll be fine having just the one running, they don’t need to run the entire length🙂
I’d keep the one that’s more on the basking end, that way your little guy will be getting his uv whilst having a bask😊
It’s good for them to have a slightly shadier end to retreat to if they wish👍 least you’ll have a spare uv for when you need to next replace it then too which is a bonus

oki tysm, i will maybe use it for ambient light! also already found a fitting greenhouse so lets go :D

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
okay thank you! i will look for an ambient light fixture. I already found a greenhouse that is suitable, the enclosure i build for the tort is out of an ikea shelf and now that i will have high humidity all around it, is there any possibility to prevent it from molding?
Having your base lined with the pond liner like you do should prevent any moisture getting to your base, therefore avoiding any rot🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
oki tysm, i will maybe use it for ambient light! also already found a fitting greenhouse so lets go :D
I’d personally save it for replacement time as they’re more expensive than a standard led you can use for your ambient lighting, be a shame to drain a second uv you can save for when needed😊
Also yay!!🥳

theodorejr

Austria
Having your base lined with the pond liner like you do should prevent any moisture getting to your base, therefore avoiding any rot🙂

I’d personally save it for replacement time as they’re more expensive than a standard led you can use for your ambient lighting, be a shame to drain a second uv you can save for when needed😊
Also yay!!🥳
yes definitely i will keep it for the exchange and look for an LED:)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
little update on how its going !!! only thing left is exchanging to the new substrate but so far the humidity is looking good thanks for everyone for the advices 🥰
Yay looking good! Well done!😁you can also still go ahead and remove the uv that’s on the opposite end to the basking light to save your bulb for replacement, maybe pop some ambient lighting in there instead if you feel the basking light isn’t lighting the entire enclosure😊

theodorejr

Austria
follow up question, i hope it doesn't sound dumb.. except for humidity, is there anything else i should look out for so that it doesn't get too dry? For example is very high humidity and daily soak and water dish available enough or is it also important that the bottom layers of the substrate are always damp?

because since the basking temp is always around 37 temp i noticed that the substrate is only dampf if digged really far down idk if i should also take care of it so its not too dry either

Thanks in advance :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
follow up question, i hope it doesn't sound dumb.. except for humidity, is there anything else i should look out for so that it doesn't get too dry? For example is very high humidity and daily soak and water dish available enough or is it also important that the bottom layers of the substrate are always damp?

because since the basking temp is always around 37 temp i noticed that the substrate is only dampf if digged really far down idk if i should also take care of it so its not too dry either

Thanks in advance :)
Hello!

To maintain humidity you need to pour water in substrate (spraying substrate doesn't work that good). So lower layers will be damp just because of that. Substrate dries very quickly under heat lamps so you may add more water to the warm end than to the cold end.

Damp substrate helps tortoise to thermoregulate and create more moist microclimate when burrowed. Also, it's less dusty when damp.

theodorejr

Austria
Hello!

To maintain humidity you need to pour water in substrate (spraying substrate doesn't work that good). So lower layers will be damp just because of that. Substrate dries very quickly under heat lamps so you may add more water to the warm end than to the cold end.

Damp substrate helps tortoise to thermoregulate and create more moist microclimate when burrowed. Also, it's less dusty when damp.
great thank you! Im exchanging the substrate to cypress mulch and coco coir anyways, i hope this will also be damp longer :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
great thank you! Im exchanging the substrate to cypress mulch and coco coir anyways, i hope this will also be damp longer :)
All three recommended substrates - orchid bark, coco coir and cypress mulch hold moisture well (in my enclosure it's 2-3 weeks between waterings).

In the basking zone it's better to cover coco coir layer with mulch or bark.