Zekes sick (dehydrated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

5 Year Member
You guys are awsome! I love this forum....ps i have to give him this type of food that is mixed with water and try and open his mouth...it is so hard! Everytime i go for his head he sucks in and yesterday i must have scares him cuz he peed on me lol we will prob have to take him back to the vet and have them do it because they were way better at it!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I found the best way to open a tortoise's mouth is to hold the head in between 2 fingers , so he can't pull his head back in, use gentle pressure, he won't like it, but he won't be able to withdraw his head. I may post a video for it, I honestly think it is the best way to force open a tortoise's mouth.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Not to steal the thread, but I would like to see a video of that. I had a hard time when I had to give Gypsy his medicine...just got luck one time and he opened up for me. Seems like your way is much easier...

Glad your tort is on the mend. It can be very frustrating when they are sick. Just give it some time and I am sure he will be fine soon.

I almost agree with Yvonne about banning the sell of animals in pet stores. If they are not going to be responsible for the info they give out, then they should have no business selling the product.

Zeke

5 Year Member
I will try that when i get home today...if i cant do it ill have to pay twenty bucks just for the vet to do it so im gunna try really hard so i can save twenty bucks...thanks for the advice

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Maybe you can hide little bits of what you have yo feed him in like a strawberry or wrapped in a piece of romaine...? Good luck to you two :D

Zeke

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice...i finally got his mouth open...hated holding his head like that and after it he kept giving me dirty looks lol

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
aww poor little guy. If only they could understand that when we do these mean things to them it only means we care. I see too many people let reptiles just waste away because they don't care anymore. Oh, and you're not alone, I have to give my boa oral injections of baytril now... fun fun stuff.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am laughing so hard....it is so funny how we think our tortoise are giving dirty looks....I do this same thing all the time, except mine throw the "stink eye" ..:D:D

Zeke

5 Year Member
Haha i know what u mean bout the "stink eye" .and my boyfriend makes me give all the shots so he only gets mad at me lol...i know its making him better tho so its worth it. He was way more active yesterday and his eyes open so wide now compared to before...i tryed to upload a picture but i cant figure it out

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Woo! Sounds great! I'm glad to hear he's getting better!

Status
Not open for further replies.