Zucchini as a staple food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
My three Russian torties love to munch on the small grove of zucchini we have growing in our backyard. They actually seem to be eating it almost exclusively unless I bring them something else. One of my females gorges on a big zucchini growing near the bottom. Interesting that it is still attached to the plant, so even though it is half eaten, it is still growing and not rotting.

I checked out the nutritional profile of zucchini, and it seems great. I compared it to green leafed lettuce by pulling up both nutritional values. Their are some differences, but it seems like a good staple plant for them to eat. It has lots of moisture, so my torts are always very well hydrated.

Is this a good food staple?
One of my females looked bloated until she urinated. She urinated quite a bit, and then went over to her big zucchini and started munching. Is this safe? Do the torts sometimes look a bit puffy?

Looking forward to replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I would always mix things up, no specific food is adequate in itself... none...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I feed it from time to time, but I wouldn't consider it a staple.

Mine don't bloat no matter what they eat, so you might have a problem there.

fgately

5 Year Member
I mix it up quite a bit. It's just that if I leave them be, they focus on eating the zucchini. It's like a little tort community in there. They like to eat and stay under the leaves for much of the day. Seems like because I let them free roam, they decide what they want to eat. If I were to keep them in a pen, I would have more control over what they eat.

Now I'm concerned about the bloating. Any ideas on what this could be? She is eating and moving well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.