1/4 cup of calcuim powder weekly????

rorostortoise

Location (City and/or State)
washoe valley, nevada
Hi y'all! I recently purchased that calcium and d3 powder for reptiles and the instructions on the back say to give 1/2 a teaspoon of powder weekly for every 5 ounces of body weight. Only problem is my tortoise is 9 pounds. Does he seriously need a quarter cup of calcium powder per week? I doubt there is 1.5C in the container. I sprinkle a little on his food and he loves it.
Context: he is a 7 year old malnourished RF that I received a year and a half ago. He is dewormed and healthy, but was born with herpes.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Never! A small pinch two or three times a week that's it. Too much is as bad as too little. With a proper diet they don't even need it but maybe once in a while.
My Adult RF receive no supplemental powders, etc. Just a very varied diet and uvb from the sun.
(Or a T5 hi 10.0 uvb strip florescent tube)
I do however occasionally ad some whole cuttlebone into my pens.

rorostortoise

washoe valley, nevada
Never! A small pinch two or three times a week that's it. Too much is as bad as too little. With a proper diet they don't even need it but maybe once in a while.
Thats what I thought, he eats plenty of vegetables and fruits and such. I'm pretty sure he would be seriously sick if he ate 1/4 cup of calcium.