2019 Tortoise Forum Calendar Contest!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
It is time for our 9th Annual Tortoise Forum Calendar Photo Contest and the 2019 Edition of the beloved Tortoise Forum Calendar!
For those who are not familiar with this annual tradition, toward the end of the year we hold a contest where all members, who have joined BEFORE September 1st, 2018 are encouraged to submit their best tortoise photo. Then we will vote for our favorites, which are then published in a Tortoise Forum Calendar.

Prizes for ALL 12 WINNERS are provided courtesy of TortoiseSupply.com! That's right, all winning photos will get a prize AND be featured in our calendar! Thank you @TylerStewart and Tortoise Supply!
tortoisesupply-png.100157

1st Place gets $100 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!
2nd Place gets $50 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!
3rd Place gets $25 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!
4th through 12th Place gets $10 credit to TortoiseSupply.com!
(Prizes are non-transferable)

You must have been a member from BEFORE September 1, 2018 to enter this contest.

Entries should be submitted by October 25, 2018 after which the voting will begin. Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation that your entry has been received and is in an acceptable format. A thread with all entries will be created 2 days prior to voting to ensure that all entries will be displayed in the voting thread. If your entry is not in the thread, please alert a moderator prior to the start of voting. Voting will run until - November 5, 2018.
The 12 photos with the most votes will be printed in the 2019 Tortoise Forum Calendar along with a collage of ALL of this year's entries. If there is a tie, we will hold a brief tie-breaker contest. If the tie breaker ends in a tie, one moderator will hold back their vote, to be used as the tie breaker.

- Your photo must be of a living tortoise or tortoises, any species will do (turtles are OK, but keep in mind this is Tortoise Forum).

-
Please refrain from talking about which picture is yours or identifying any of the pictures, and it goes without saying - don't do any campaigning.

- Also, for the sake of anonymity people cannot be in the pictures.

- You must be the sole owner of the photo you submit. Do not submit a photo that belongs to someone else.

- Only one submission per household. Choose your photo carefully - you may not change it once it's submitted.

- The photo original must be at least 5 megapixels, so that it can be printed at an 8.5"x11" size. Your photo will be thrown out if it does not meet this requirement. (To find megapixels, multiply the length of your image, in pixels, by the height. ex. an 2592 x 1936 pixel image is roughly 5 megapixels.) This is important because small digital photos cannot be blown up and still look nice.

(To know the megapixels on any picture or any phone or any camera. Take a random pic using that device, after that using the computer, right click at the pic and search for details, you can see the (pixels) x (pixels) information. If the pic is in the phone, search for the option when the screen showing the picture, heads to details.
How to know the megapixels, if it shows 1980 x 2561, times it. The result is 5,070,780 which means 5.07MEGAPIXELS. It means the pic is qualified.)

- Please - no photoshopping.

To enter, email your photo to:

[email protected] (type it out with no spaces)

Please use the following format when submitting your photo. Submissions that do not follow these guidelines will NOT be accepted. No exceptions.

Subject: 2019 Calendar Contest
Tortoise Name/Names: [Your Tort's Name Here]
Tortoise Species: [Your Tort's Species Here]
Taken by: [Your Name Here - be sure you use your TFO ID and then your real name.] We will need your real name and email address in order to award the prizes.
[Your Photo Here]

Be sure the entry is the correct 5 megapixel or larger size.

Thanks for your participation and enthusiasm in continuing this great tradition! May the best photos win!

Thanks for supporting Tortoise Forum!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bee62

Germany
Thank you very much for the 9th Annual Tortoise Forum Calendar Photo Contest !
I take part with a pic of my young aldabra tortoises.:)

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
The subject line should be “2019 Calendar Contest,” right? I’m assuming that’s the case.

It’s been sent. I’ve been waiting to enter this picture since last year. I missed the deadline then.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The subject line should be “2019 Calendar Contest,” right? I’m assuming that’s the case.

It’s been sent. I’ve been waiting to enter this picture since last year. I missed the deadline then.
Thanks for the heads up. I fixed it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you very much for the 9th Annual Tortoise Forum Calendar Photo Contest !
I take part with a pic of my young aldabra tortoises.:)
Sabine. In the past it has been just photos of a single tortoise
Moderators: Is this still a rule?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So it's a tortoise related photo competition?
Not a competition for a photo of a single tortoise?
I haven't competed in a few years and the rules back then stated just one tortoise in the picture.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So it's a tortoise related photo competition?
Not a competition for a photo of a single tortoise?
I haven't competed in a few years and the rules back then stated just one tortoise in the picture.
It doesn't specifically say only one tortoise in the picture. Personally, I don see why there can't be more than one in the photo. You can only submit one photo and it has to be a photo of a living tortoise. Let's ask @Josh

Last edited:

Reptilony

QC, CAN
oh no! Can't participate I joined september 5th and it has to be before the 1. Maybe next year...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It doesn't specifically say only one tortoise in the picture. Personally, I don see why there can't be more than one in the photo. You can only submit one photo and it has to be a photo of a living tortoise. Let's ask @Josh

I think its because of the phrasing Your photo must be of a living tortoise, any species will do. and at the part about name/species are singular.

But I agree that there have been plenty of pictures with multiple tortoise and turtles in the past and don't think it will be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just heard from Josh. 'Single tortoise' is not the rule. You can have more than one tortoise in the picture. I'll see if I can re-word the instructions.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
Sent a picture in yesterday. Will I get a response that it was received and acceptable?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know it says in the instructions that you will get feedback on your entry, however, I just heard from Josh that he's not sending out emails and you can just watch for the thread that shows all the names of the entrants. He will put it up before the voting is to start.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I know it says in the instructions that you will get feedback on your entry, however, I just heard from Josh that he's not sending out emails and you can just watch for the thread that shows all the names of the entrants. He will put it up before the voting is to start.

Phew, I was getting worried lol