75°safe?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Is Opo staying outside in the yard all day at 75° and no sun safe?
He seems to just try and get close to the cactus for warmth.
If I lock him in the screen porch he just paces. He is over 3years and over 50lbs.
This is a new situation for me.

Neon_xero

El Paso
Um depends I left my Russian tortoise overnight in 65-70 degrees But where I live its dry so there was no wind and h was insulated in my dog's toy but he was still cold I mean that's your decision I would because your tortoise is 50lbs but i wouldn't do that often unless warm

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Um depends I left my Russian tortoise overnight in 65-70 degrees But where I live its dry so there was no wind and h was insulated in my dog's toy but he was still cold I mean that's your decision I would because your tortoise is 50lbs but i wouldn't do that often unless warm
It is only during the day. He has a warm night box. Opo's limit on going outside seems to be 65° with no sun. He wont leave his night box if it is at that temp.
If it's sunny and 65°I know he is fine. My temp gun will show about mid 80's ground temp. Opo's temp can get to close to 100°

Neon_xero

El Paso
It is only during the day. He has a warm night box. Opo's limit on going outside seems to be 65° with no sun. He wont leave his night box if it is at that temp.
If it's sunny and 65°I know he is fine. My temp gun will show about mid 80's ground temp. Opo's temp can get to close to 100°
then it is fine to take him outside like I take mine out in the 65 degrees but the floor is like 70-80 and they find ways to find sun if just make sure he stays in the sun like for me my house has shaded parts were they like to stay but they get cold

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
then it is fine to take him outside like I take mine out in the 65 degrees but the floor is like 70-80 and they find ways to find sun if just make sure he stays in the sun like for me my house has shaded parts were they like to stay but they get cold
Exactly, when Opo gets cold he seems to get confused. While I was posting this thread. I had lured Opo into the porch where his night box is. Closed the screen doors and came in to post. Went back outside and he wasn't in the porch. He walked through the metal panel at the bottom of the door.? Now I have to use some PVC expanded foam board and bigger screws.
No cuts on him thankfully.

Neon_xero

El Paso
Exactly, when Opo gets cold he seems to get confused. While I was posting this thread. I had lured Opo into the porch where his night box is. Closed the screen doors and came in to post. Went back outside and he wasn't in the porch. He walked through the metal panel at the bottom of the door.? Now I have to use some PVC expanded foam board and bigger screws.
No cuts on him thankfully.
I always say their smart creatures when they want to be like my testudo uses my window when he can't find the sun to reflect of it but yet he will walk right into the cold areas when its 100 degrees outside ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I always say their smart creatures when they want to be like my testudo uses my window when he can't find the sun to reflect of it but yet he will walk right into the cold areas when its 100 degrees outside ?
????

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Is Opo staying outside in the yard all day at 75° and no sun safe?
He seems to just try and get close to the cactus for warmth.
If I lock him in the screen porch he just paces. He is over 3years and over 50lbs.
This is a new situation for me.
OPO is over 50lbs??? Holy crap... how did I miss this?)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
OPO is over 50lbs??? Holy crap... how did I miss this?)
Heather over 50lbs might be incorrect. I thought when I weighed Opo in September he was 46lbs. Opo was only 36lbs. So he is probably in the low 40's.
I will try to weigh him tomorrow.
I remember people telling me how their memory got worse with age. Of course I would say to myself.....not me......
When I hit 60 yrs old it was all down hill from there.?????
This might be a good time to borrow money from me. I might not remember!????????

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ray, thanks again for that loan. ?

Do you have an IR temp gun that you can use? If not, get one & take some various readings of the ground, Opos shell, etc on days like today. It’s probably a lot warmer down on the ground where opo wants to be.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you live in a warm climate and have a heated night box, I just let them come and go as they please. Outside temps here in winter range from 50-90 during the day. On cold overcast days they stay in the box, or only come out briefly. On warmer sunny days, they come out and walk around and bask.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray, thanks again for that loan. ?

Do you have an IR temp gun that you can use? If not, get one & take some various readings of the ground, Opos shell, etc on days like today. It’s probably a lot warmer down on the ground where opo wants to be.
LOL,
Yes I have a temp gun. I have taken those temps before.
I didn't even think about doing that today. Duh!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If you live in a warm climate and have a heated night box, I just let them come and go as they please. Outside temps here in winter range from 50-90 during the day. On cold overcast days they stay in the box, or only come out briefly. On warmer sunny days, they come out and walk around and bask.
Thanks Tom,
That's pretty much what Opo does. He seems to know even when in his heated night box. That it is to cold outside. The 75° range is where he acts different. Will not be active and sit close to the house or next to the cactus. If it's rainy I don't need to worry. He doesn't like the rain.