Achivement: Tortoisedom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

5 Year Member
I have achieved tortoisdom.

My first tortoise ever: George, the 4.5" unsexed Russian Tortoise.

George currently resides in a 54 gallon rubbermaid tub with a few plants and a semi-underground half log type cage(which i think he has a hole dug in).

George thinks that Spring Mix is delicious and that mazuri tortoise food is OK but doesnt taste like leafy green heaven.

George also thinks that running around to get dirty then jumping in his water "pond" right after I freshen it is hilarious.

Bear

5 Year Member
At the moment, pictures are out of the question, because George is frisky like a squirrel, a crazy, crazy, frisky, I LOVE THIS HOUSE squirrel. George only slows down to bask, and I really dont want to disturb his happy happy warm time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Congrats. I'm sure you and George will have a lot of fun together.

S

stells

There was me thinking it was a new form of contraception for tortoises lol...

Bear

5 Year Member
George has discovered a new activity.

This activity consists of staring at one of the aloe plants in his tub until you look away, then snipping through it near the bottom with his mouth of nomnom-osity, taking a much or two out of the fallen plant part, then leaving it there for you to stare at and think STOP WASTING PLANTS GEORGE.

PICTURES! OMG!
Sorry, no pictures of George himself. After a quick bath so that he could test out the new waterdish(I originally bought two and only recently decided the other one was stupid, and this one was much better) without making me instantly have to clean it.

S6300028.jpg

This is a picture of his cage setup in general, the greens are from a Spring Mix assortment and were placed there to apologize for his bath :<

S6300029.jpg

This is a picture of George's Half-Log(buried) with him hiding inside and generally hating me at the moment.

Bear

5 Year Member
OMG! PICTURES OF GEORGE! THE PROMISED TIME HAS COME!

S6300033.jpg

Get that thing away from me!
S6300031.jpg

S6300030.jpg

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Give us a pic of his tail and we'll tell you if he's a "George" or a "Georgia/Georgette"...handsome lil' tort, in either case. :cool:

BTW, if that aloe is aloe vera, you probably want to take it out, as aloe vera's not good for torts (if it was, he/she would've eaten it all...RTs are chow-hounds! ;))

Bear

5 Year Member
Huh thats odd, wherever I check it always lists Aloe as in Aloe Vera on the edible list of plants.

Also, I'm kind of on the fence about showing you guys a tail pic so you can sex it, because I really really want "him" to stay named George :eek:

And unless theres some major health concerns based on female or male specifically, Id rather not ruin it, though size always could in the end.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think you have to worry. I think George is a boy. I have an aloe planted in my Russian pen. They took a few bites at first, but now are leaving it alone. It acts as a laxative.

Bear

5 Year Member
Yeah I dont particularly think George likes it. He would crunch through it, take two nibbles, then leave it sitting in the dirt.

Heres a picture of Georges tail
S6300060.jpg

I know its blurry but for some reason my camera just wouldnt focus on him this time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Congratulations! George gets to keep his name!!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Oooooooooooooooooo rubber jackets for all tortoises :p

George looks great and I agree no name change. :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.