Acquired 3 tortoises, 1 is not feeding and sleep most of the time

sakote

Location (City and/or State)
hong kong
Acquired 3 baby tortoises (2 female sulcata and 1 male Hermann) from petshop last March 24 and 1 is not totally eating unlike her other companion. Always sleep a lot. I got ceramic heater emitter and uvb led lamp for them. Temp doesn't go below 26.9 deg celsius (heater is off) while 30.9 degres celsius while heater is on and humidity from 70 to 83%. Any advice? I've been reading a lot of info and most have different opinion. thank you for the inputs. I love my baby tortoises and want them to grow healthy and big

Attachments

• IMG_6914.jpg
    IMG_6914.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6915.jpg
    IMG_6915.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Acquired 3 baby tortoises (2 female sulcata and 1 male Hermann) from petshop last March 24 and 1 is not totally eating unlike her other companion. Always sleep a lot. I got ceramic heater emitter and uvb led lamp for them. Temp doesn't go below 26.9 deg celsius (heater is off) while 30.9 degres celsius while heater is on and humidity from 70 to 83%. Any advice? I've been reading a lot of info and most have different opinion. thank you for the inputs. I love my baby tortoises and want them to grow healthy and big
Here is the correct info. Disregard other info you have found up to this point. There is a heating and lighting breakdown, plus a care sheet for each of your species at the bottom. Please read through all of this:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, do you have them all in the same tiny enclosure?
First they all need their own enclosure as species should not be mixed and not kept in pairs. Second that enclosure is not big enough for one let alone 3. Read Toms threads he posted for you and make changes ASAP!
Everything in your pics are wrong and your torts won't last long without big changes now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please read the care sheet Tom linked for you. And here are a couple more links being more species specific:

Sulcata - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Hermann - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

What I see wrong with your enclosure:

UVB is strained out by small screen, so light shouldn't be on top of the screen
That substrate is a blockage risk if eaten. You can use coco coir or orchid (fir) bark instead
Never mix species. In the first place, Sulcata and Hermanns require different care, and in the second place, they come from different parts of the world and might make each other sick
Enclosure is too small
Tortoises are not "herd" animals, but rather, solitary creatures and should not be kept together, especially in pairs.
It's impossible to tell the sex of a baby tortoise. They don't show gender characteristics for several years.

Your questions are all answered in the care sheets linked above. Good luck and please keep us in the loop. Also, I'd love to see pictures of your new babies.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Please follow the advice given and keep us posted!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow! You're in Hong Kong! I'm in Jamaica... welcome again from a fellow non-American.