Adopting any tortoises that need a home in south Florida

Evansky

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Hi I have a huge outside habitat for many tortoises with 2 ponds for them to soak and relax , and big shelters for them to sleep . I have a lot free space I recently renovated it and have a lot more space , so I’m trying to help any unwanted tortoises looking for a really good place to live .

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
That's awesome! Can you share photos of your space and let us know what kind of tortoises you have? We'd love to learn more before recommending people to you.

@ZEROPILOT lives in the area as well, he gets requests for rescues a lot

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi I have a huge outside habitat for many tortoises with 2 ponds for them to soak and relax , and big shelters for them to sleep . I have a lot free space I recently renovated it and have a lot more space , so I’m trying to help any unwanted tortoises looking for a really good place to live .
Ooooo I’d love to see a photo of the space! It sounds ideal!
Not all species are social but with a large enough space(what size are we talking?) and the right male to female ratio, perhaps a small group of red foots would be an option? You’re in a good climate for them🙂they do have specific dietary needs that differs from most types of tortoise, are you familiar with owning tortoises? I wouldn’t want to recommend something that could be overwhelming

Evansky

FL
Not all species are social but with a large enough space(what size are we talking?) and the right male to female ratio, perhaps a small group of red foots would be an option? You’re in a good climate for them🙂they do have specific dietary needs that differs from most types of tortoise, are you familiar with owning tortoises? I wouldn’t want to recommend something that could be overwhelming
Hi yes I will upload photos tomorrow , I have a few red foots and Sulcatas with different sections for each and building more as we speak also building a section for babies and young tortoises away from the adults , but yes I can take in any tortoises and make adjustments for them

Evansky

FL
That's awesome! Can you share photos of your space and let us know what kind of tortoises you have? We'd love to learn more before recommending people to you.

@ZEROPILOT lives in the area as well, he gets requests for rescues a lot
Hi yes i will post photos soon , I have currently red foots and Sulcata but I’ve had almost everything else in the past I’ve been keeping tortoises for 24 years and turtles for longer . Right now I have a low amount of tortoises and a lot of space , that’s why I did this post to see if I can help out any tortoises in need with a good home to live .

Evansky

FL
I have some older photos on my phone I can post now

Attachments

• IMG_5017.jpeg
    IMG_5017.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5018.jpeg
    IMG_5018.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5019.jpeg
    IMG_5019.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5020.jpeg
    IMG_5020.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5021.jpeg
    IMG_5021.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5022.jpeg
    IMG_5022.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5014.jpeg
    IMG_5014.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1

Evansky

FL
Right now I have one male Sulcata so I don’t want to add any other big males into the mix but I can take in small males and house them in a different habitat , as for red doors I can take in any sex any size i have good space for them . And any other species looking for a home I can also find or make and create a suitable habitat for it I have the space

Evansky

FL
Right now I have one male Sulcata so I don’t want to add any other big males into the mix but I can take in small males and house them in a different habitat , as for red doors I can take in any sex any size i have good space for them . And any other species looking for a home I can also find or make and create a suitable habitat for it I have the space
Red foot ***

Evansky

FL
Hey yea I have experience with almost all tortoises and all tortoises I’ve had have always been social and good with each other you just need the right amount of space and the right habitat , all tortoises are unique and have their own personalities

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Babies need to be housed in closed chamber enclosures with high humidity. Please do some research on here for proper care and housing of babies. Even though you live in a high humidity state/area, babies still need to be in a controlled enclosure for around 3 years.
How much actual space do you have for each of your larger groups? Larger tortoises like RF and sulcata groups needs at least a half acre to an acre.

Evansky

FL
Babies need to be housed in closed chamber enclosures with high humidity. Please do some research on here for proper care and housing of babies. Even though you live in a high humidity state/area, babies still need to be in a controlled enclosure for around 3 years.
How much actual space do you have for each of your larger groups? Larger tortoises like RF and sulcata groups needs at least a half acre to an acre.
Babies can be raised outside with no problems as long as you protect them from predators , I’ve raised tortoises for 24 years I’m good .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Babies can be raised outside with no problems as long as you protect them from predators , I’ve raised tortoises for 24 years I’m good .
Can they be? Yes. Is it good for them? No. Babies do much better when raised indoors in closed chambers with stable controlled temperatures and humidity. I've done several side-by-side experiments with clutch mates of several species over many years to discern this fact. This is true even in their native environments like CA desert tortoises here, or sulcatas in sub-saharan Africa.

Before you argue, please understand that I've done it both ways, and many other ways, extensively over a period of several decades. If you have not done these experiments yourself, you really have no way of knowing what the difference is. I have no doubt that yours survived outdoors. What is being argued here is that it is better for them to be indoors as little babies with short excursions to the great outdoors, with an increasing amount of time outside as they gain size. We want them to thrive, not just survive.

Adults most certainly do better living outside in large properly designed, built and maintained enclosures.

P.S. Housing them on sand is a really bad idea. Allowing them to eat on sand is an even worse idea.

P.S.S. Species should never be mixed. This can lead to all sorts of mayhem and death.

Evansky

FL
Can they be? Yes. Is it good for them? No. Babies do much better when raised indoors in closed chambers with stable controlled temperatures and humidity. I've done several side-by-side experiments with clutch mates of several species over many years to discern this fact. This is true even in their native environments like CA desert tortoises here, or sulcatas in sub-saharan Africa.

Before you argue, please understand that I've done it both ways, and many other ways, extensively over a period of several decades. If you have not done these experiments yourself, you really have no way of knowing what the difference is. I have no doubt that yours survived outdoors. What is being argued here is that it is better for them to be indoors as little babies with short excursions to the great outdoors, with an increasing amount of time outside as they gain size. We want them to thrive, not just survive.

Adults most certainly do better living outside in large properly designed, built and maintained enclosures.

P.S. Housing them on sand is a really bad idea. Allowing them to eat on sand is an even worse idea.

P.S.S. Species should never be mixed. This can lead to all sorts of mayhem and death.
all my red foot babies have been born outside and kept outside and I still have them all super nice and healthy growing with no probems. I’m sure there are other species that do better indoors and in a controlled environment , and if I come across one of those tortoises I would absolutely keep them indoors but for red foots and Sulcatas I have raised them all outside with no problems.and yes species can be mixed you just need to do it right , you can’t believe everything you read online and on here .