Advice for hatchlings

Shanny1307

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
My aunt is part of a wildlife rehab group. She helps abandoned babies, Usually just squirrels,opossum and raccoons. Someone left two hatchling box turtles on her porch while she was at work. She doesn't know anything about turtles,so she passed them on to me. I have a leopard tortoise and a red eared slider. I dont know much about box turtles though. I'm here for some help. As soon as I got them home last night I put them in warm water to soak. I filled up a rubber made tote with damp coco coir. I Put a tiny lid with some water and a small hide in the tote for them. I soaked them again this morning and after I got off work. They have ate some worms and pill bugs so far. Is there anything I should be doing,or watching out for? Thanks for the advice. 1526425535814.jpg20180514_230706.jpg20180515_173600.jpg

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Sounds like you have the bare basics covered. Keep them warm, around 80F with humidity around 80%, some UVB light may do them some good. Offer a variety of foods. Worms and pill bugs are great! I like to give hatchlings black soldier fly larvae and dubia roaches that have been gut loaded with mustard or turnip greens. You can also offer quality pellets like Omega One Juvenile, Mazuri Aquatic or Hikari. Add some more hiding places in different parts of the enclosure so they have choices in different temperatures.

cjturtle

Southern California
My aunt is part of a wildlife rehab group. She helps abandoned babies, Usually just squirrels,opossum and raccoons. Someone left two hatchling box turtles on her porch while she was at work. She doesn't know anything about turtles,so she passed them on to me. I have a leopard tortoise and a red eared slider. I dont know much about box turtles though. I'm here for some help. As soon as I got them home last night I put them in warm water to soak. I filled up a rubber made tote with damp coco coir. I Put a tiny lid with some water and a small hide in the tote for them. I soaked them again this morning and after I got off work. They have ate some worms and pill bugs so far. Is there anything I should be doing,or watching out for? Thanks for the advice. View attachment 238697View attachment 238698View attachment 238700
They look like cool turtles. If you are looking for someone to adopt them let me know :).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
More plants and more hiding places. Much more. You can cut grape vines or small mulberry branches and replace them as they wilt every two or three days.

And they need larger water saucers so they can get in and march around in them. 4" terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate will work. I'd use at least two and a third one for food.

How are you heating them? They need to be warm. They need a basking area to warm up.

I wouldn't house them together. Best if each has its own enclosure.