Age and Gender Thoughts

Sunshie

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hey folks! Curiosity is getting to me!
My Russian tortoise, Kilian, has been with me almost a month now and I adore him but would really like to know a little bit more about him. We adopted a female, 4 yo tortoise. Don't get me wrong, this rescue and everything they do is over the moon. However, Kilian is pretty obviously not of the female persuasion based on several of the threads I have been reading. I have also heard that it is harder to discern gender in younger tortoises. Since that is not the case with Kilian, I am wondering if he is a little bit older? Closer to 10-12 instead of 4.

I am posting pictures of his scutes and his tail here for you all. I can't wait to hear what you think!

Attachments

• Tail.jpg
    Tail.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • Scutes.jpeg
    Scutes.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Hey folks! Curiosity is getting to me!
My Russian tortoise, Kilian, has been with me almost a month now and I adore him but would really like to know a little bit more about him. We adopted a female, 4 yo tortoise. Don't get me wrong, this rescue and everything they do is over the moon. However, Kilian is pretty obviously not of the female persuasion based on several of the threads I have been reading. I have also heard that it is harder to discern gender in younger tortoises. Since that is not the case with Kilian, I am wondering if he is a little bit older? Closer to 10-12 instead of 4.

I am posting pictures of his scutes and his tail here for you all. I can't wait to hear what you think!
Congrats, it's a boy.