Age of sexual maturity for these torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwinkle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How old would these torts be before they reach sexual maturity and could be bred?

Redfoots

Yellowfoots

Hermann's

Russians

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It's mostly a size thing, not age as in months since hatching. A tortoise in a correct environment, feed well will grow faster then one in a poor environment and not being fed good nutritional food or an abundance of food. Hibernation will also take out a chunk of time from the growing. Then also consider things like heredity and individual make ups.

That's why torts kept in captivity grow faster than ones in the wild. However, fast growth is not a good thing in the long run. You want slow and steady, more along the natural growth pattern.

Pugwinkle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
HMMM? I was just on the phone speaking with a place that sells Redfoots and she said they reach sexual maturity at around the age of 20. That certainly is a lot older than 5 - 7 years?!?!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Pugwinkle said:
HMMM? I was just on the phone speaking with a place that sells Redfoots and she said they reach sexual maturity at around the age of 20. That certainly is a lot older than 5 - 7 years?!?!

According to what I have read from the CTTC and the WCT and other sites size does play a part - but for a properly sized and aged (not grown too fast (bad))

Redfoot 8-12 years
Yellowfoot 8-12 years
Hermanns 8-12
Russian 7-10

these are approximate ages as the regions and conditions under which they are raised may differ and change these somewhat.

Remember places that sell reptiles and pet shops are not always the best place for information. And some breeders may perfer to wait to breed until the tort is a little more mature.

Pugwinkle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Pugwinkle said:

According to what I have read from the CTTC and the WCT and other sites size does play a part - but for a properly sized and aged (not grown too fast (bad))

Redfoot 8-12 years
Yellowfoot 8-12 years
Hermanns 8-12
Russian 7-10

these are approximate ages as the regions and conditions under which they are raised may differ and change these somewhat.

Remember places that sell reptiles and pet shops are not always the best place for information. And some breeders may perfer to wait to breed until the tort is a little more mature.

Thanks for that info. What does CTTC and WCT stand for?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
WCT....World Chelonian Trust

CTTC...California Turtle and Tortoise Club

Status
Not open for further replies.