Aldabra enclosures

incognet

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
So... progress is being made on the enclosure. I should have lights/heating ordered soon; this design has undergone multiple revisions since the weekend. I'm talking with Bob of Pro Products (about radiant heat panel), and members of the Reptile Lighting FB group.

These fixtures are important, but I also need sensors (humidity and temperature) for both reptile enclosures. My boxie has several temp probes in/around her tank, but humidity is just being inferred since I discontinued use of reptile fogger (with bundled hydrometer). We don't have a laser temp gun... yet.

Based on what I've read here (and elsewhere on the interwebs), it seems like SensorPush brand products are my best option for remote humidity and temperature monitoring.

EtekCity brand (which I'm already familiar with from digital scale purchase) Lasergrip 1260 is one of the better laser temp guns, and I see earlier models being recommended by knowledgeable people on this forum. Do the contents of my shopping cart pass muster, or have I overlooked something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_151120_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_151120_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240619_150315_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_150315_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

incognet

Arkansas
UPDATE: The enclosure plants arrived yesterday! Tripple Brook Farm (of Massachusetts) is one of the few no-spray nurseries that I've found online. Apryl and Joe are great people to do business with; we received multiple tortoise-safe freebies.

As for the enclosure, it's been thoroughly cleaned and will migrate to solarium in a few days. We just need to address a sliding glass door that's blocking our path.

In other news, we ordered the SensorPush bundle and laser temp gun through Amazon. They'll arrive soon.

Attachments

• image000002(4).jpg
    image000002(4).jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
UPDATE: The enclosure plants arrived yesterday! Tripple Brook Farm (of Massachusetts) is one of the few no-spray nurseries that I've found online. Apryl and Joe are great people to do business with; we received multiple tortoise-safe freebies.

As for the enclosure, it's been thoroughly cleaned and will migrate to solarium in a few days. We just need to address a sliding glass door that's blocking our path.

In other news, we ordered the SensorPush bundle and laser temp gun through Amazon. They'll arrive soon.
Its not the insecticide sprays that you have to worry about. It is the required systemic pesticides in the soil that cause the problem. These toxins are taken up into the plant's tissues and cannot be rinsed off. It takes weeks or months for it to clear after replanting.

Many of the people selling the plants do not know about these toxins. There is a small nursery near me that also sells bees and bee-keeping equipment and they are very proud to advertise that none of their plants are sprayed, and they use no insecticides, and all the plants they sell are safe for the bees and other insects. I went in to get some plants for a couple of planted terrariums that I was making, and I started asking the employee what the source was for these plants and if they did not have the systemic pesticides in the soil. The guy had no idea what I was talking about, and the owner over heard us talking and came out of the back room to join in the conversation. I explained the federal laws to her and her employee, and since it was the weekend, she told me she'd call her supplier on Monday. She called me back on Monday afternoon and was sorry to tell me that I was right. All the wholesalers that sell plants to all the retailers are required to use these toxins. Most of the retailers don't even know about it. The only way around this would be if the people are propagating all of their own plants in-house and getting away with not using the toxic soil. Its not practical or reasonable for a retailer to propagate all of their own stuff. They buy it from wholesalers like most every other business.

Sorry to bring you potentially bad news, but it would be a real bummer to find out the other way...

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Its not the insecticide sprays that you have to worry about. It is the required systemic pesticides in the soil that cause the problem. These toxins are taken up into the plant's tissues and cannot be rinsed off. It takes weeks or months for it to clear after replanting.

Many of the people selling the plants do not know about these toxins. There is a small nursery near me that also sells bees and bee-keeping equipment and they are very proud to advertise that none of their plants are sprayed, and they use no insecticides, and all the plants they sell are safe for the bees and other insects. I went in to get some plants for a couple of planted terrariums that I was making, and I started asking the employee what the source was for these plants and if they did not have the systemic pesticides in the soil. The guy had no idea what I was talking about, and the owner over heard us talking and came out of the back room to join in the conversation. I explained the federal laws to her and her employee, and since it was the weekend, she told me she'd call her supplier on Monday. She called me back on Monday afternoon and was sorry to tell me that I was right. All the wholesalers that sell plants to all the retailers are required to use these toxins. Most of the retailers don't even know about it. The only way around this would be if the people are propagating all of their own plants in-house and getting away with not using the toxic soil. Its not practical or reasonable for a retailer to propagate all of their own stuff. They buy it from wholesalers like most every other business.

Sorry to bring you potentially bad news, but it would be a real bummer to find out the other way...
Does potting soil have these pesticides?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does potting soil have these pesticides?
No. Not necessarily, but some of them do and it should say that on the bag. What I have been told by several people in the nursery business is that this is federally required to protect the agricultural industries, and also to ensure the plants make it to market looking healthy and bug free.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I explained the federal laws to her and her employee, and since it was the weekend, she told me she'd call her supplier on Monday. She called me back on Monday afternoon and was sorry to tell me that I was right. All the wholesalers that sell plants to all the retailers are required to use these toxins. Most of the retailers don't even know about it. The only way around this would be if the people are propagating all of their own plants in-house and getting away with not using the toxic soil. Its not practical or reasonable for a retailer to propagate all of their own stuff. They buy it from wholesalers like most every other business.

Can you explain these federal laws requiring the use of systemic pesticides to me? Preferably with a citation to the CFR since I like to read the text myself.

No. Not necessarily, but some of them do and it should say that on the bag. What I have been told by several people in the nursery business is that this is federally required to protect the agricultural industries, and also to ensure the plants make it to market looking healthy and bug free.

How do you know what you were told by these people was accurate? Did you confirm the veracity of what they told you before repeating it as fact?

incognet

Arkansas

It would be tragic to accidentally poison a pet. I've written off several retail nurseries because of issues (pesticide, herbicide and disease) with 3rd-party wholesale stock. Most recently, we received thornless blackberry with incurable orange rust. Another retailer neglected to mention broad spectrum insecticide used on butterfly bushes he sold us. I was especially concerned about neonicotinoids like Imidacloprid, but Tripple Brook doesn't use them.

TB propagates their own stuff (afaik). Joe mentioned this on website and phone conversation we had a few weeks ago. What I received appears to be field-grown; the bamboo was shipped bare-root, and every plant has residual MA soil on root hairs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240622_215744_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240622_215744_Outlook.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2

incognet

Arkansas
UPDATE: I had unforseen problems moving the AP enclosure; our sliding glass door has a stationary panel that wouldn't budge. The best option was a full teardown & reassembly of the enclosure in sunroom. We also applied fresh aquarium sealant, which should be fully cured in 3-4 days.

Every day brings another delivery via UPS or FedEx. Some are packaged more securely than others. Thankfully, none of the plants that we received from Josh's Frogs were damaged or wilted.

Attachments

• image000000(13).jpg
    image000000(13).jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1
  • image000000(14).jpg
    image000000(14).jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240627_002259_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240627_002259_Outlook.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: