Another tortoise thief!

harrythetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia

A man steals a Redfoot tortoise WHILE HOLDING HIS CHILD. What an abhorrent behavior.
The owner of the store has tears in his eyes during the interview... I feel so bad for him and the tortoise ? I really hope he gets the tortoise back soon!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
You think they can check craigs list and other for sale sights ? Hope they catch that a** hole. Wasn’t the other tortoise theft in Ohio too?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
You think they can check craigs list and other for sale sights ? Hope they catch that a** hole. Wasn’t the other tortoise theft in Ohio too?
Yes it was! Cleveland, Ohio, not far from this store. It was also a redfoot tortoise... I hope they catch them soon.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Just looked on Craig’s list out there, it’s posted. Someone put them on blast. Thats good. Wonder how one would go about selling a resfoot without a platform such as Craig’s list to do it?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Just looked on Craig’s list out there, it’s posted. Someone put them on blast. Thats good. Wonder how one would go about selling a resfoot without a platform such as Craig’s list to do it?
There's also facebook market too. I don't have facebook account (deleted mine a few months ago) so I can't check, but I'm sure news would have spread and people would recognize it as a stolen one (hopefully!)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I can't access the link as I'm in Europe.
That's awful but while I would hate to see the thieves profiting from these thefts, I do wonder what will become of the poor torts if they can't be found a good home.:(

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I can't access the link as I'm in Europe.
That's awful but while I would hate to see the thieves profiting from these thefts, I do wonder what will become of the poor torts if they can't be found a good home.:(
I know, the shop owner was also saying that he wishes the man who took the tort is taking good care of her.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I know, the shop owner was also saying that he wishes the man who took the tort is taking good care of her.
It looks like the pet store wasn't doing a very good job of it.
Look at that enclosure and the lights...
Just saying.

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
And let's not forget the message sent perfectly plain to the kid in the man's arms - "It's okay to steal." Well on the way to criminal behavior - just like his father. I sure hope the torts will be okay. I have a brother in Cleveland. I'll ask him to keep an eye on the ads for pets.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
And let's not forget the message sent perfectly plain to the kid in the man's arms - "It's okay to steal." Well on the way to criminal behavior - just like his father. I sure hope the torts will be okay. I have a brother in Cleveland. I'll ask him to keep an eye on the ads for pets.
Exactly. Sad. Society is slowly leaning that way here in America. When has theft been ok? NEVER!!! But I keep hearing of laws in certain states (?) that basically allow theft as long as its under a certain $$.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Same here. I keep worrying about the poor baby. ? Why do these stupid people have to put animals at risk when they commit crimes?

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Same here. I keep worrying about the poor baby. ? Why do these stupid people have to put animals at risk when they commit crimes?
Right!!! Can we keep criminal activity to humans please... but it IS a criminal. Cannot ask anything from them!

Skip K

Virginia
Even in summer...when weather permits our tortoises to be outdoors full time...I still bring them in at night. Our enclosures are winged and 4 legged predator proof...but not 2 legged predator proof. This is a major hassle and the torts would benefit from being out full time...but sadly the town I live in...which was once a terrific place to live...has deteriorated horribly.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Even in summer...when weather permits our tortoises to be outdoors full time...I still bring them in at night. Our enclosures are winged and 4 legged predator proof...but not 2 legged predator proof. This is a major hassle and the torts would benefit from being out full time...but sadly the town I live in...which was once a terrific place to live...has deteriorated horribly.
I can totally understand. I can keep hawks and dogs out of my tortoise enclosure, but humans could easily walk in and out with my tortoise. When we lived in the suburbs and had an outdoor enclosure, I think some passersby saw it and thought we kept rabbits. One day they just dumped a couple domesticated bunnies in our yard. ?‍♀️