Any BIG plant or tree i can have in my backyard as food sources?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Does anyone have moringa seeds?
Depending on where you live you can buy started trees in many places, even some local grocery stores near me sell started pants up to about 4 foot tall. It is becoming very common/popular. I've eaten some now too, it sorta reminds me of spinach without the grittyness.

www.facebook.com/KapidoloFarms/

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I researched it. Looks like a great fit for my area, but it says that it cannot handle frost. We do get an occasional below freezing night here during winter. Could this tree survive that? Regular hibiscus, cape honeysuckle, and Ficus benjamina cannot survive here over winter. Would this tree fare better than those?

If yes, can I arrange to buy some seeds from you by spring time?

Yes, Tom, of course. My trees are young but I would be happy to share seeds, no buy, share with ya.

About surviving cold, I believe I read that moringa originated in the foothills of the Himalayas before going to Africa and other areas. I'm thinking it will be okay. It might "die" (or "brumate") and then come back stronger in spring, every year, which would jive with your little Russians. I guess more looking into that for us is in order ...

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Yes, Tom, of course. My trees are young but I would be happy to share seeds, no buy, share with ya.

About surviving cold, I believe I read that moringa originated in the foothills of the Himalayas before going to Africa and other areas. I'm thinking it will be okay. It might "die" (or "brumate") and then come back stronger in spring, every year, which would jive with your little Russians. I guess more looking into that for us is in order ...
Oh, could I have some seeds too, please. :)I can trade you some seeds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The last time we talked about maringa on the forum I sent to Amazon for some young plants (seedlings) The only one I have left is about 3' tall now, and I just purchased it this past spring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The last time we talked about maringa on the forum I sent to Amazon for some young plants (seedlings) The only one I have left is about 3' tall now, and I just purchased it this past spring.

What has gone wrong? Do they survive our winter freezes?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Where are you located?
Tropical Plant has a selection of mulberry trees in Tamarac as well as a zoo with several tortoises.
The Swap Shop in Fort Lauderdale always has a vendor or two selling spineless cactus plants in pots for around $5 and there are two or three in the fruit and vegetable section that sell the regular pads with the spines cut off. I've planted them before and they still grew.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

Mine are 8, maybe 9 feet tall, lanky but going. I cannot remember when I can expect seeds. Soon I hope. I have a small greenhouse so once I can, I think I will just get the seedlings started so I can share little baby trees wrapped in newspaper with my fellow tort keepers. This tree should be in everyone's garden, if possible. It rocks for health. Amazing to read all the good stuff it has. (Google or Pinterest search it everyone~!)

Tom, moringa originated in the foothills of the Himalayas. I found this: "The Himalayan region mainly experiences two season winter and summer. The average summer temperature in the southern foothills is about 30 degree Celsius and the average winter temperature is around 18 degree Celsius." So we have 86 down to 64.4 Fahrenheit average. I had no idea it was that warm in the foothilI. I guess you get much colder over at your ranch. Maybe grow in pots and bring in, greenhouse them, or down to the heated bunkers for winter along with the sullies? Just a thought.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What has gone wrong? Do they survive our winter freezes?

I'm not real good about remembering to water them. They're planted in pots, so are moved into the greenhouse in winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, moringa originated in the foothills of the Himalayas. I found this: "The Himalayan region mainly experiences two season winter and summer. The average summer temperature in the southern foothills is about 30 degree Celsius and the average winter temperature is around 18 degree Celsius." So we have 86 down to 64.4 Fahrenheit average. I had no idea it was that warm in the foothilI. I guess you get much colder over at your ranch. Maybe grow in pots and bring in, greenhouse them, or down to the heated bunkers for winter along with the sullies? Just a thought.

I can try some in pots and maybe two or three in the ground in various spots to see how they do. Let me know when you have some seeds. :D Thanks!

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Planting of mulberry trees is illegal in Pima County, where I live, because they're allergenic (I am allergic, too). If someone is willing to sell me some leaves I'd be happy to buy in the Spring for my tort. I can freeze them like one of the posters here is experimenting. Anyone?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm not real good about remembering to water them. They're planted in pots, so are moved into the greenhouse in winter.
Doh (slaps forehead)

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I researched it. Looks like a great fit for my area, but it says that it cannot handle frost. We do get an occasional below freezing night here during winter. Could this tree survive that? Regular hibiscus, cape honeysuckle, and Ficus benjamina cannot survive here over winter. Would this tree fare better than those?

If yes, can I arrange to buy some seeds from you by spring time?

The Moringa should bounce back or send up new shoots after frost.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
Where are you located?
Tropical Plant has a selection of mulberry trees in Tamarac as well as a zoo with several tortoises.
The Swap Shop in Fort Lauderdale always has a vendor or two selling spineless cactus plants in pots for around $5 and there are two or three in the fruit and vegetable section that sell the regular pads with the spines cut off. I've planted them before and they still grew.
Cool , I am living in Coral Springs , I know both places . Thanks