Anyone else tired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I ordered a new subscription to ReptileEats in late December to hopefully help me get through this winter but the shipments have been so sporadic Ive had to start having the produce guy order more Spring Mix and Dandelion greens for me just to get by. Ive gotten 3 orders in since December. Its turning into once a month. If they are overwhelmed they need to say something instead of continuing to advertise their specials to bring in more customers. Ive had several people IM and Email me regarding their service, or lack there of lately. I would really like to know whats going on. At least this week we got an email telling us that they were unable to print labels so we wouldnt be getting our expected shipment, where as 3 weeks ago when we had a shipment due we got nothing until I emailed asking about it then were told they had been out of town. Many of us live in the cold climates and cant get weeds and greens outside right now and are depending on this service. I really think an explanation is owed, I have referred too many people to the site to not get one.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry to that Anja. I'd be upset to. I used them once and when the product got to me, I used it once and had to toss the rest because it was hot and nasty. The plants were dead or almost there, so now I just use what I grow in the yard or buy at the store. I hope it turns around for you.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I originally went with them because their shipping costs were much lower than that of reptigreens.com. I saw first hand at a show the method for shipping used by reptigreens.com and I admit it was worth the cost of shipping (some sort of NASA developed packaging), plus their salad blend was fantastic looking (there is a thread comparison on it). I tried to save a few bucks and while the food was always adequate from ReptileEats, they are coming to me in frigid temps without any insulation at all in the box and taking 3 days to get here, needless to say there is usually some already slimy when it arrives.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I saw the other thread... mine came in a box with a melted ice pack. Granted I live in AZ. But I just grow seeds. You could get a little green house and plant stuff inside for the winter, although i'm sure your house is as packed as mine.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
jenrell23 said:
I saw the other thread... mine came in a box with a melted ice pack. Granted I live in AZ. But I just grow seeds. You could get a little green house and plant stuff inside for the winter, although i'm sure your house is as packed as mine.

I dont think its a melted ice pack. Ive never gotten one that had any ice in it at all. Just water. Ive started growing seeds indoors out of necessity. Luckily we start pepper and tomato plants early so plenty of grow lights and material. Ive got stuff planted in their stock tanks as well as in trays everywhere right now!

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am completely disappointed in their service. I recently placed my first order on Friday. Feb 22nd. I expected it to be be shipped the following Monday. It was not. I was told it would be shipped out today. It was not, due to not having shipping labels My order was less than the shipping costs and would be two weeks before I actually got it. I'm a first time customer and already don't like the service. I won't order from there again.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Sorry to say you're not alone Anja.. had a couple at redfoots.com with similar deals.. confronted them and same type of feeble excuse!

A legitimate business doesn't go out of town or not know how to write!!!

Run 'em off Josh! { we were right }

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never sampled ReptileEats products, but I did (out of curiosity) try Reptigreens. I was totally happy with the product and the way it was shipped to me. The greens arrived during a very hot summer day, but were packaged so well that they were still cool and crisp. Only reason I never ordered again was the shipping cost was so high. Cheaper for me to buy at Costco.

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Same issues as everyone else here. Product is often slimey and shipments are delayed. This last time I didn't get the plant that was supposed to be in my order. Letting my subscription go after this. Spring will be here and I can get my own stuff.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The food I have gotten from them has been good, IMHO, although the one time I did get a plant it was totally demolished - the entire box was squashed. But I too have been dissappointed with the amount of shipments and the unreliability of them. I like the variety it offers my tortoises, but like Anja, I have only gotten three shipments and I bought my subscription in December.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I have sent an email requesting the cancellation and refund of the remaining half of my subscription. There were a couple of issues with the very first order I placed with them back in October and they assured me that if I gave them another chance that I would be taken care of. I dont feel that I have been taken care of at all, and neither has anyone else that I have referred to them. I really hate that it has come to this, but if we dont speak up this will continue just as it has. Instead of us emailing and IMing in private this is a matter that needs to be addressed publicly.

I had hoped they would get on the ball, and I had planned to add another subscription to what I was already receiving so that I wasnt having to buy so much produce in between but that will not be happening now.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Does anyone have suggestions on how to preserve succulent summer weeds ? Like all greens when I freeze them, they turn to mush.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Itort, when I get produce from the store, I don't wash it and I allow it to dry out, then I put all the greens on paper towels and roll them up, I then put it in a bag with one end open and set it so and water can roll to the bottom. It works good and my can last up to a 4 to 6 weeks. I know that doesn't help for the whole winter, but maybe you can transplant the greens into pots inside. Hope you find an answer to this that lasts longer then mine.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi there, I buy most of my produce at a price rite (kinda discount supermarket, no bags, etc. but tons of produce)not to far from me. I usually have to go every 2 weeks, although sometimes I can squeak out alittle bit more if I absolutely fill the fridge.(My son loves to tell everyone the only food in the house is for the animals!) I use those green bags? they were advertised to keep produce fresher and I did a test with many products. I am not one to fall prey to gimmicks, but to not get as slimy as fast was my goal. (I found the best price on ebay)They do make a difference.
I wasn't even aware of buying produce through the mail, think I will steer clear!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm forunate to live in an area of fairly wide ethic diversity, so greens are hard to come by or neither are mexican specialities such as tunas and nopales (prickly pear) but perhaps if I lived in an area with less diversity, the mail order produce would look tempting. What I see if you're going to have a business, be serious about it. Plan, don't take breaks, and communicate with your clients. A small startup business is tough enough without shooting yourself in the foot.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Yea I live in a rural farm area with nothing but dairy farmers, so no real ethnic diversity here. ;) I was really depending on this subscription with them to help me get through the winter with the torts. I have also not heard anything back from my early morning email to them requesting my refund. If I dont hear something back by tomorrow afternoon I will be filing a complaint with Paypal. Its not even thats its that much money, but its more the principal of the whole ordeal at the moment.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My sympathy goes out to all who are depending on them. One thing is only about a month till we can all start collecting weeds and perhaps a lesson in growing our own thru the winter. I know of people who collect and store weed seeds for the winter season, perhaps this is a lesson for all of us.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Oh definitely, I have been ordering weed and plant seeds and picking them up every time I find plant seeds suitable for the torts. I have a ton of stuff I have started now, out of necessity. ;)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I wish it were that easy for all of us! I have a black thumb and couldn't keep dandelions alive! :p

reptileeats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alabama
Wow...You guys are right, we are a very small business. Our server going down was a major blow to us. Our profit margin is less than 10% on EVERY order. We certainly want to work with all of our customers to make sure they are happy. Almost every time orders are delayed we throw in free food or plants to make up for it. I want everyone to know that we are NOT trying to make excuses for our recent delays. We are going to make it up to everyone that is willing to stick with us. Unlike other companies we grow all of our food...we don't purchase it. Reptile Eats is very sorry for recent inconveniences. We are growing, updating, expanding....very soon there will be NO more problems.

Redfoot NERD: We would like to offer you a personal invitation to come down and inspect our facilities so you can give accurate comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.