Anyone working with Mexicana?Yucantana? Nelsoni?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I have rarely seen any yucatana or Mexicana. Most I've seen or heard of people working with are Coahuila and rhinnoclemys. But would love to find out if anyone is working with any too. I've been on a search for some and come up empty handed every time.

justturtles

5 Year Member
I work with a few Mexicana. I would be interested in meeting others that work with them as well. I would be interested in exchanging hatchlings for unrelated genetics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi justturtles! Welcome to the Forum!

How about you start a new thread and show us some of your rare Mexicana? I'd love to see them.

justturtles

5 Year Member
Would be happy to show some of my Mexicana pics if someone could guide me through the process of uploading some to this forum. Sorry for being so inexperienced.

justturtles

5 Year Member
Lets see if I am successful at uploading some photos. Top photo is an adult female Mexican Box turtle. Second is an adult male Mexican Box turtle. Third is a young adult female Mexican Box turtle. Last is a young female Mexican Box turtle. Enjoy!Adult female mexicana.JPG Adult male mexicana.JPG young adult female mexicana.JPG young female mexicana.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mark:

Is it ok to leave justturtles' pictures on your thread, or would you prefer I move them to his own thread?

Justturtles: Beautiful turtles. Thanks for sharing. I'm afraid (being ignorant as I am of this species) that I would have identified them as triunguis. What differentiates them from triunguis?

justturtles

5 Year Member
Mexican Box turtles are very similar, in appearance, to Three Toed Box turtles. Adult Mexican Box turtles are considerably larger than Three Toeds. The coloration on the male Mexican Box turtles head and legs is like no other Box turtle. Once you work with them you can see the differences easier. Some but not all young Mexicans have some pattern on their Carapace. Both sexes of Mexican Box turtles will have the dark brown color in the seams between the scutes on both the Carapace and Plastron. Most Mexicans have 3 toes on their hind feet like the Three Toed. I do have one that has 4 toes on its hind feet. Of course location from where the turtle comes from makes identifying them easier.

justturtles

5 Year Member
Sorry turtlemanfla88. Looks like I violated some forum etiquette. I mean no harm in posting pictures on your thread. This was my first posting, and I still have some obvious learning to do before I do any regular posting here. I will remove the pictures if someone can instruct me on how to do it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry turtlemanfla88. Looks like I violated some forum etiquette. I mean no harm in posting pictures on your thread. This was my first posting, and I still have some obvious learning to do before I do any regular posting here. I will remove the pictures if someone can instruct me on how to do it.

Let's wait to see if its ok with the OP (original poster) if the post stays here. If he's not ok with it, I'll move the whole thing to it's own thread. I wouldn't want to lose those pictures. This is a very valuable lesson for us. We don't get to see many of this type box turtle.

turtlemanfla88

yes it is ok guys sorry been busy put animals back outside. I love the weather in FLA right now in high 70's low 80's. awesome pictures.

turtlemanfla88

hey guys i got some pics of the Mexican box turtles on my I-phone . I need to text the pics to someone who can help me ID which species this is. e-mail off forum and I will give you my phone number.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Just seeing if anyone is working with any of these species?.
I've been working with box turtles for decades and don't personally know anyone with Mexicans or yucatans. I would LOVE to work with both. The male Mexicans can be incredible.

I appreciate you sharing yours. I do think they share strong resemblance to 3toeds but that male is no doubt Mexican.

Hopefully one day in the future I will be privileged enough to work with either species, preferably both :)

justturtles

5 Year Member
I agree with you diamondbp. Once you see a male Mexican you can easily tell them apart from a 3 Toed. The female Mexicans on the other hand can be a little harder to differentiate from a 3 Toed. One for sure give away is the size of the adults. Mexicans get to be almost as large as a Gulf Coast. 3 Toeds remain around the size of an Eastern. A couple of other details also helps to tell them apart. I would love to find others that work with these! The 4 turtles in the photos I posted on this thread are 100% pure Mexicana. Glad to hear you enjoyed them. In response to one of the above posts. The "2 Box turtle/person" Florida law pertains to only those Box turtles that are native to Florida: Gulf Coast, Easterns, Florida's, and 3 Toeds. No limit to non native Box turtles that can be kept or bred.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
@justturtles If you ever want to chat box turtles please don't hesitate to PM me. I'm beyond impressed with the Mexicans and would love to know more about them. My focus has always been gulf coast and 3toeds but would eventually love to have a breeding group of each somehow.

I can't stop looking at the photo of the male. Lol lucky you!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I agree with you diamondbp. Once you see a male Mexican you can easily tell them apart from a 3 Toed. The female Mexicans on the other hand can be a little harder to differentiate from a 3 Toed. One for sure give away is the size of the adults. Mexicans get to be almost as large as a Gulf Coast. 3 Toeds remain around the size of an Eastern. A couple of other details also helps to tell them apart. I would love to find others that work with these! The 4 turtles in the photos I posted on this thread are 100% pure Mexicana. Glad to hear you enjoyed them. In response to one of the above posts. The "2 Box turtle/person" Florida law pertains to only those Box turtles that are native to Florida: Gulf Coast, Easterns, Florida's, and 3 Toeds. No limit to non native Box turtles that can be kept or bred.

Technically correct but because of "similar species" they were/are all in the same boat. I don't know if that is the case at the moment.