Apple head chihuahua...Are they Stupid?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Chester was a mixed Chihuahua and about the size of a Jack Russel.
Here's a photo of him at his fattest. (He ended up half that size.)
That was one Hell of a great dog!
How cute is he! I'm sure you miss him lots.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Here are our two boys. Neither one is even close to as smart as the girl. Still the brown one is super trainable. Very food motivated and is a quick learner. My wife does some animal training at the zoo so she enjoys working the dogs too.
A animal trainer I used to know pointed out how smart a species is isn't the best indicator of how "trainable" a species is.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460126280.031390.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Yes. That dog got me firmly in touch with my softer side. He was my good buddy. Thanks.
I'm beginning to realize that Suki has some big shoes to fill. So to say.
After losing a pet, I tend to take the "prescribed 12 months of mourning" before getting a new one. Heck, if it was only me in thehouse, I'd get another pet while the old one starts showing signs of "getting close". With me the idea is never to "replace" the lost pet but rather put a bandaid on a wound in my soul, which usually eventually redirects my thoughts and attention into forward looking rather than staying in the past/grieving.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I disliked Chihuahuas and were suspicious of the people that would own such a small and scrappy thing.
Me too, back when I thought I didn't like little dogs! Now they are my favorite breed.

I still love big dogs, and chi's are probably the only small ones I'll have from now on. The tft and shih tzu were not exactly intentional, though I do love them. But chi's only from now on.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I got Chester because some kid owed me money and his mother came in to my shop and offered me a puppy as payment. I accepted because I never expected to get paid for replacing an inner tube on his little dirt bike. (I sometimes did stuff for free for some of the neighborhood kids. Something that my partner didn't agree with.)
I wasn't looking for a dog....Much less a tiny, trembling Chihuahua mix.
So he was $18 if I recall.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
After losing a pet, I tend to take the "prescribed 12 months of mourning" before getting a new one. Heck, if it was only me in thehouse, I'd get another pet while the old one starts showing signs of "getting close". With me the idea is never to "replace" the lost pet but rather put a bandaid on a wound in my soul, which usually eventually redirects my thoughts and attention into forward looking rather than staying in the past/grieving.

I could never wait that long. i want to help another animal who needs a home. everyone is different and i get what you are saying, but part of how i honor my pet is by helping another one.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
my husband and i raised Jack Russells for a while. So we had big dogs in a small package. i don't think i could go to a big dog. it's so much easier to pick up your small dog and put him where you want him. now we have 2 chinese crested powder puffs ( the ones born with hair) and 3 American hairless terriers.

5dogsmothersday.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearly

5 Year Member
I could never wait that long. i want to help another animal who needs a home. everyone is different and i get what you are saying, but part of how i honor my pet is by helping another one.
I wouldn't either!!! My husband puts breaks on many of my heart's desires I'm the impulsive risk taker in our family, he's the conservative one, one that hates any change and does much better when faced with done deal rather than planning and preparations:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
my husband and i raised Jack Russells for a while. So we had big dogs in a small package. i don't think i could go to a big dog. it's so much easier to pick up your small dog and put him where you want him. now we have 2 chinese crested powder puffs ( the ones born with hair) and 3 American hairless terriers.

View attachment 169795
Omg!!!!! They are precious!!!!! Do you breed them?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Omg!!!!! They are precious!!!!! Do you breed them?

No, i wish. I have rescued every one except the black and white puff. She came from a good breeder. The hairless terriers are great. They have no hair to shed all over and i sew for them so they have a ton of clothes.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No, i wish. I have rescued every one except the black and white puff. She came from a good breeder. The hairless terriers are great. They have no hair to shed all over and i sew for them so they have a ton of clothes.
Why do you wish? I'm over here celebrating your answer that you rescued!!