Apple head chihuahua...Are they Stupid?

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
She offers more love and happiness than dissapointment.
I just wish she'd learn.
Today was a good day.

i have 2 Chinese crested dogs which are also a 'toy' breed. they were the hardest to potty train. And the ones i have are the powder puff, which means they are covered in hair, not naked. My 3 Hairless terriers are much better about going outside. ( i have a dog door since i have 5 dogs). the best result we have had is with taking a treat outside, and asking them to go. they are not allowed in the house until they go, or i freeze to death. THEN when they go, they get a treat and a lot of praise. Not too loud, bc they are sensitive, but you know how it goes. i never punish if i don't catch them in the act b/c of the 3 second rule. If they did it longer than 3 seconds ago, they have already forgotten what you are yelling at them for, and they think you are mad at them for whatever they are currently doing. This creates a more nervous dog.

Rue

Canada
My mini-Dachshund will also - some days - piddle inside despite being let out often enough. And we are all very good about letting all three dogs out enough.

I'm not sure why. She's the only dog I've ever had that is unreliable. She's over 10 now ...and it's been like this since the entire time. And she is definitely not stupid. Very bright little dog.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
She offers more love and happiness than dissapointment.
I just wish she'd learn.
Today was a good day.
Awwww! There you go! They are so worth it! Any trouble they cause. She's also still a baby. May just take longer to learn stuff. To me the thing with pets is not about their smarts, but rather about love and touching part of ones soul that without them would never be awakened

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This morning she did it all outside and only made me about 10 minutes later than usual to work. (I get to work up to an hour early to find a parking spot.)
Still, I placed her in the kitchen with a baby gate because Kelly is NOT a morning person (or an afternoon or an evening person) and doesn't want to deal with her.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
This morning she did it all outside and only made me about 10 minutes later than usual to work. (I get to work up to an hour early to find a parking spot.)
Still, I placed her in the kitchen with a baby gate because Kelly is NOT a morning person (or an afternoon or an evening person) and doesn't want to deal with her.
I get the spousal differences in pet department My husband adores animals but will not do anything other than play with them, only when he feels like it. He doesn't like a mess they make etc. My cats have always been huge bone of contention in my marriage (always great excuse for a good "debate") I am happy to hear Suki did so well this morning. Leaving her separated from her humans probably doesn't help her get it. If she is indeed little slow, her thinking is much like mentally retarded child. Things to them are pretty simple, all they want is to love and be loved. They want to be close to their mom/dad, cuddle, feel safe and secure. You may need to do little extra reassurance to compensate for the time you are gone to work and she is locked away from another human, all by herself. Just make it up to her upon your return home and shower with love and praise every time she does it right. I'm sure that all she wants to do is just to please you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The method David described is the way to go. I've done this dozens of times with all different breeds. One problem, which is especially common with smaller breeds, is that people tend to keep them in the house when they are little and give them those Wee Wee pads. This teaches the pup that the bathroom is inside the house, which is why you walk around outside for an hour and your pup hods it until it gets back inside where it thinks it is supposed to go potty.

Scolding, isolation, confinement and punishment will simply not work for this issue. What will work is consistently taking the dog outside every hour and waiting. This means all night long for several weeks or even months. Crate training in a little bitty crate might help too, but not always. I realize this is not easy or practical, and this is why so many of them pee and poo in the house. They just don't potty train as quickly or easily as some other breeds generally do.

Tiny little toy breeds are notoriously difficult to housebreak. We have a little 4 pounder that a whole host of professional trainers have not been able to housebreak. She just goes in her crate. So we bring a large supply of towels on jobs we do with her.
Minnie down copy.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The method David described is the way to go. I've done this dozens of times with all different breeds. One problem, which is especially common with smaller breeds, is that people tend to keep them in the house when they are little and give them those Wee Wee pads. This teaches the pup that the bathroom is inside the house, which is why you walk around outside for an hour and your pup hods it until it gets back inside where it thinks it is supposed to go potty.

Scolding, isolation, confinement and punishment will simply not work for this issue. What will work is consistently taking the dog outside every hour and waiting. This means all night long for several weeks or even months. Crate training in a little bitty crate might help too, but not always. I realize this is not easy or practical, and this is why so many of them pee and poo in the house. They just don't potty train as quickly or easily as some other breeds generally do.

Tiny little toy breeds are notoriously difficult to housebreak. We have a little 4 pounder that a whole host of professional trainers have not been able to housebreak. She just goes in her crate. So we bring a large supply of towels on jobs we do with her.
View attachment 169619

So true...also, have you seen those cute little bejeweled totes they toss em into, I met one that walked so rarely that when it was put on the ground it like pranced like on hot coals because its leg muscles were not developed as a result of no development from a puppy on...poor dogs. Some folks refuse to admit that the little clutch cuties are actually dogs...oh no, yes dogs...they can poo and pee with the best of em if allowed to...I don't even think folks really realize that they are doing it....people see them as little and so that is equated to unable to do...which is a hard thing to break in peoples way of thinking...the dog is easier to fix than the person, always..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So true...also, have you seen those cute little bejeweled totes they toss em into, I met one that walked so rarely that when it was put on the ground it like pranced like on hot coals because its leg muscles were not developed as a result of no development from a puppy on...poor dogs. Some folks refuse to admit that the little clutch cuties are actually dogs...oh no, yes dogs...they can poo and pee with the best of em if allowed to...I don't even think folks really realize that they are doing it....people see them as little and so that is equated to unable to do...which is a hard thing to break in peoples way of thinking...the dog is easier to fix than the person, always..

So true. I am constantly telling new trainers and pet owners to treat the little breeds like a DOG. Its a DOG even though its little. We just picked up a little tiny JRT puppy on Monday and I keep telling people to put it down and let it walk. Put a leash on it and stop carrying it. And don't even think about buying those stupid wee wee pads for inside the house!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So true. I am constantly telling new trainers and pet owners to treat the little breeds like a DOG. Its a DOG even though its little. We just picked up a little tiny JRT puppy on Monday and I keep telling people to put it down and let it walk. Put a leash on it and stop carrying it. And don't even think about buying those stupid wee wee pads for inside the house!!!

I can not stand wee wee pads....and that was the breed of the first dog I ever worked with...those little terriers are the most fun....fast, agile, tenacious and so smart...they look up at you with this expression of Okay what can you do....

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Yes. I agree.
If she has no idea why I'm angry, it just frightens her for no reason.
Feeding at the same time every day will also help you to figure out how long it will take her system to digest the food , and be ready to do her business. People who leave a food dish down all day , plus treats are just making it hard on the dog and themselves during the training period . She will get it , just like everything else some days go better than others !

100_8361.jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Hello Ed,
Glad to hear you got a new puppy even with it's challenges. Just wanted to tell you our Dashshund-Chihuahua mix isnt the
brightest dog we've ever owned. She bounces around like a tennis ball full of excitement, is the perfect lap dog who loves to make
eye contact & give kisses, but any command more than a paw shake it just too much for her short attention span !

Someone gave her to us in November 2010, soon after we put the Christmas tree in the living room - Don't you know the dog starts pooping
next to the Christmas tree ! Oh, my husband was so frustrated, but I told him he'd brought the outdoors inside by bringing a tree inside !
Fortunately, our beagle who has since passed, loved the outdoors and wanted to go outside all the time, so they both would go
outside whether they had to potty or not. I suppose that helped her learn, also she had been a stray for awhile.

I too, have been late to work for assorted pet issues ! I feel your frustration, good to know it should get better with time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Today after work I took her out and sat in the grass and just watched her. She pooped and peed.
Long story short, she has peed three times in a 5 hour period and pooped twice...and all outside. Each time she runs over to me excitedly to get her training treat and some kisses.
I never put down pp pads. But there is a washable carpet that she goes on about 90% of the time she goes indoors.
I'm afraid that I trained her that it's ok to use that spot.
I am removing this carpet.
Thanks for everyone's support.
My wife has all but demanded that the dog has to go.
I can hold her off for a while. It's just one thing more to argue about.

Attachments

• 20160129_172347-1.jpg
    20160129_172347-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
On the pee pad issue, I've never used them for a dog I've trained myself. However, i adopted a 10 year old dog that used them all her life. In the year since I adopted her she has not once gone anywhere in the house other than on that pad. Even during the night if she has to go she will wake you up to let her out of the room so she can go use her pad. She will not go on anything in the room she shouldnt.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Aww, i hope you can keep her. It is difficult when the other spouse says you can't keep one. I don't know how i would handle that. She is a beautiful little pup.

gabby.santana

California
Please don't rehome her just because she doesn't know how to use the bathroom. That's almost the number one reason dogs are in surrendered to shelters.

No physical punishments nor shouting, just stern no's. Constant praise and treats as well as keeping a consistent schedule should eventually get her house broken. My spaniel mix took about 4 months to be house broken and I have always thought her to be such a smart little girl. Have faith in your little girl she will get it

Keeping her in a crate at night and having her on a leash around the house and always close to you will help you keep a constant eye on her so she won't have an accident