Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin

5 Year Member
Hi,

I find myself new here in this forum. I used the term "conservation" in the search box, got really poor results, not much interest here in your overall group.

I like pet tortoises, and have had a few turtles or tortoises pretty much for the past 45 years. But I have also volunteered with in-situ conservation efforts.

BTW in-situ more or less means in the original place, as it pertains to tortoises it would mean wild ones. In this vein of thought ex-situ would mean our pets.

So, wondering the following . . .

Have you seen a tortoise in the wild (not a zoo, nature center etc.) - in the wild like camping if Florida, or taking a walk in southern CA say at Joshua Tree NP, and just happen to see one?

I'd have made a pole, an option at the bottom of the screen, but again the help menu was useless for that purpose.

Maybe a moderator could repost my question with the pole attached?

The question is "Have you seen a wild tortoise?"

Franklin

I see, the poll 'wizard' pops up after you hit the 'post' button.

Franklin

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Yes, I live in California and my job involves alot of walking through the Mojave desert. I've been fortunate to come across one CDT in the wild. Their numbers in this part of California are very low and I was lucky to see one. There are conservation efforts in place and there are laws protecting this species, but their numbers are still very low.

Personally, I'd like to see more re-introduction efforts.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Seen many Gopherus Polyphemus in florida, Gopherus Berlandieri in Southern texas, as well as many Chelonoidis carbonaria in Central America. One of the main reasons why I hold conservation as my main purpose in my organziations program.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
There are no tortoises around here so no. Just box and water turtles and I've seen lots of them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yes, around much of the world.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many CDTs here. 6 leopards in South Africa, plus a whole bunch of others that were "semi"-wild. I've seen various aquatic turtles all over the world, usually hanging out with some red eared sliders, unfortunately...

EKLC

5 Year Member
I gone looking for gopher tortoises many times, but have yet to see one. I know where a few holes are and have gone at various times of day, but no luck.

Then I see people on facebook post a picture of one they came across with the caption "look at this big turtle"

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I've seen some turtles here on logs at a distance, and a snapping turtle. In my other world travels I've seen numerous turtles and even tortoises but at the time I didn't have any as pets, and was much younger. So I don't know what species they were. I grew up in Alaska where there aren't reptiles except domestic ones (except for maybe a few newt species on the southern areas near B.C.), so I am definitely not the best at identifying them. :p

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Unfortunately there are no tortoises native to Alberta, only Western Painted turtles (haven't seen any of them, either!).

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
I see wild Gopher tortoises all the time. by all the time I mean a few times a year but more frequently then most. I love hiking and searching for wildlife so its fun when I get to see the big torts we have around here.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Yes i have seen both tortoises and turtles in the wild.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
never! I don't understand why. Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I see box turtles, red-eared sliders, 3-striped musk turtles and snapping turtles.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
never seen a wild tortoise,but i am in the UK so that's probably why lol

Status
Not open for further replies.