Artificial Grass as indoor substrate

TortNZ

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch
Hi All

I have been advised by the breeder I'm getting my baby from that I can use artificial grass fro my indoor enclosure.
Any thoughts on that? Cheers A

Attachments

• Artifical Grass.pdf
    57.5 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That should not be used for several reasons. In addition to what Zeropilot mention, its too dry, and babies need some humidity. Also, it is likely to be eaten and those artificial fibers are likely to cause an impaction.

The best substrate for a Testudo baby is coco coir. Orchid bark works for babies too, and is also the best substrate for adults.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi, thanks for your response. I thought it was not the best. Will take your advise.
Evo is arriving in three days now
With that poor advise the breeder gave you, you should be questioning how s/he cares for their hatchlings. I'm guessing not in the best possible way.

TortNZ

Christchurch
When I picked my tortoise I've seen the setup. Very professional and they were very nice, spend a few hours with me so I could pick the right one.
I'm new to having tortoises and want to give my little one the best I can so I went for the Coco Coir as advised by some of you. Please see attached picture. Thoughts?
Next is the outside enclosure.
:)

Enclosure 2.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I picked my tortoise I've seen the setup. Very professional and they were very nice, spend a few hours with me so I could pick the right one.
I'm new to having tortoises and want to give my little one the best I can so I went for the Coco Coir as advised by some of you. Please see attached picture. Thoughts?
Next is the outside enclosure.
:)
In your picture it looks like you are using a cfl type UV lamp? Those are not effective and they are sometimes harmful. They don't make much UV and at that distance your tortoise will get zero benefit. Some of those bulbs emit damaging rays which cause corneal ulcers and blindness. They should not be sold or used, but people keep buying them, so they keep selling them.

Also, you will not be able to maintain the correct temps and humidity in a low sided sweater box like that. Hatchlings need to be kept a little warmer and with moderate humidity until they gain some size and can tolerate drier conditions better. Testudo hatchlings don't need tropical high humidity like a sulcata or star tortoise, but they do need moderate humidity of at least 50-70% in order to stay hydrated. You'll also need a better humid hide. The flower pot's open end lets all the humidity out. You need a small, dark, upside down box with a little door hole to contain the humidity and offer your tortoise a more humid retreat when it feels the need. A covered tank, tub, or a closed chamber, aka: vivarium, will serve you much better and keep your baby healthy.

Last thing, I don't know what is in the second lighting hood, but I don't see a basking lamp. They need a warm area in one section of the cage to raise their temp above ambient. A "basking" area. Best if this lamp is a flood type bulb, and point it straight down at a flat rock of some sort. Temp at tortoise level should be around 95-100 degrees F (37C). Raise or lower the fixture to get the correct temp under it. Don't use halogen, spot, or mercury vapor bulbs, as these will all cause pyramiding. Just a regular incandescent flood bulb. I usually use the 65 watt type, but you can go higher or lower wattage if needed to get the correct temperature in your enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second what Tom posted. I see you have three hides. Take two out. Sink the water bowl to be level with the substrate. I would also take out the decorative stones as they are a flipping hazard. Leave the ones around the water dish, however push those stones into the substrate as well so there is a level transition from ground into water dish.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides all that, your lights are too high.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Boy! We've really picked on you, huh. Please bear in mind we only have your baby's best interest at heart. Have you read our care sheet? It was written by a fellow who is very experienced with your species of tortoise.

I'm not sure if your baby is a Hermanns or a Greek, but Chris, the author of the care sheets, has a whole lot of experience with both species:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. We just want you to have a great experience with your tortoise. So many start out wrong and things can go bad quickly.
Luckily you can get yours right before the tort arrives.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome

Another little tweak that you can make is to rearrange your probe so that it’s not draping over the rocks & substrate. In the first hour or less, your tort will have that probe yanked all about, pulled or worse. You could drill a small hole where you want the probe, push it into the enclosure from the outside, then tape it down with duct tape. Or skip the hole & just duct tape it.

Good luck!

C68C421D-9488-4418-80DE-FFB6913F4FF6.jpeg

TortNZ

Christchurch
Hi All

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I do know you want only the best for my tort. Thats why I signed up. Here in NZ tortoise are very rare and it took me months to locate someone who sells them. Thats why they are so expensive. Evo is a Hermann and hatched in Feb 2019. I have been told the tort has been outside through the day and only inside at night. It's diet consists of Mesclun salad and weeds from the garden. It has been getting Cuttlefish bone for extra calcium. I have booked it in with a vet that deals with reptiles to give it a general check over. I have read the care sheet and may other ones on other websites. I have watched videos and there is a lot about tortoises but a lot of different opinions on how to keep them. As there is nothing in NZ I have to make it work for our environment.
In regards to the indoor setup, I have removed the shells and two of the hides. Have lowered the water bowl and the stones. Both lamps have been lowered to about 25cm from the substrate (Is this OK?). I have two bulbs, one UVB and one Basking. Please see picture attached.The prob was only there so I could see what the temperature comes up to. The coir is nice and moist so I hope the humidity will be OK. I will soak the tort every other day.
I'm currently working on an enclosure for outside and have also another caged area where Evo can roam around in grass.

Attachments

• Lamp.jpeg
    Lamp.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Indoor Enclosure New.jpeg
    Indoor Enclosure New.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To help with heat and humidity within the enclosure you have you could rig up a frame and drape plastic over it to have the enclosure covered.
Stick with the info on this forum. It's the most current up to date best info you will find.

TortNZ

Christchurch
I have a cover for the indoor enclosure for night time and when I’m at work. Please see picture. Do you think this would work? Could leave on all day. Problem is I can not put both lamps on it.
Don’t have problem to leave uvb lamp on all day but bit worried re the basking one.

Attachments

• 28314C43-C2CB-4797-9360-620199AC3668.jpeg
    28314C43-C2CB-4797-9360-620199AC3668.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17

TortNZ

Christchurch
Morning, yes I will. Evo meant to arrive yesterday but there were some delays but she is on her way now. I’m so exited :)

TortNZ

Christchurch
Hi All
I imagine when Evo arrives she will be very hungry so while I wait let me tell you what I have in the fridge for her.
Mesclun Salad
Carrot leaves
Zucchini
Clover
Dandelion

That should fill the little belly.