Baby hatchling sleep a lot!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm sure to be ignored or contradicted , but my Greek tortoises, all related, have been together since they were hatched . going on for 20 years. They don't fight each other, males do get rambunctious when they fall for a female, even then they aren't promiscuous. Blackie is in love with Reeva, Dana only has the attention of George. It maybe because they are just used to each other, or it could be the species . Every morning when I lift off their house, the adults are all huddled together, except for Blackie who is usually on patrol. All 25 are doing well , babies getting stronger by day, plastrons nice & firm. If there are a lot more babies next year I shall lengthen their enclosure.

Groups usually do fine. Larger groups like yours usually work even better assuming they have enough space. PAIRS are the problem we are advising against here. Pairs are almost always a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
oh really? Oki i'll give it a go, I lost one of them yesterday inside their enclosure, she didn't go and sleep in her "bedroom" so she had burrowed herself under the hay and reptile chip things! x

Hay and wood chips are much too dry and desiccating. Your tortoise will need at least moderate humidity in order to grow properly. Do you know what your humidity is at tortoise level?

I typed this one up for russians, but care for Greeks is pretty much the same. I hope it will give you some ideas for improvement: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

This one will help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

puffy137

Well thank you Tom for that. I was very impressed with the elaborate construction you made in your garden , hope things worked well for you there:D

puffy137

Ah ok I shall look to see if anyone I know wants to take one off me. They are so tiny and so cute I don't know h ow I'll be able to separate them. I don't have space for 2 vivariume unfortunately :(
If I were you I should just observe their behaviour, if you see signs of trouble then you can dive in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I were you I should just observe their behaviour, if you see signs of trouble then you can dive in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't agree. Living as a pair is a problem. There does not have to be obvious outward attacks happening for the less dominant one to feel chronically stressed by the presence of the other one, and this is exactly what the OP is reporting already.

puffy137

I live in an apartment so 2 tortoise tables isn't an option. Will have to rehome one of them. If you know anyone in the west London/Heathrow area who would give her loads of love and attention please send them my way.

I've ordered the coco noir UK equivalent. Thanks for the tip x
They are so sweet , exactly like my babies.

Princessjay

Thanks for the advice everyone, trying to find a new home for one of them. My apartment is just to small for 2 vivariums. I had planned on a bit of extra space when they got to 2/3 yrs old, but not spce for a whole extra vivarium. Breaks my heart :(

Floomby

Southern California
I second what AbdullaAli says; my Ramona's joy and happiness is to put me in a panic by vanishing, causing me to rake my fingers through every cubic centimeter of substrate several times over before I find the reassuring hard smooth roundness.

Or, put more scientifically, tortoises are quintessential prey animals, and babies even more so. Hiding so thoroughly makes yhem feel secure. And, like toddlers, they want to do things for their own self!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I live in an apartment so 2 tortoise tables isn't an option. Will have to rehome one of them. If you know anyone in the west London/Heathrow area who would give her loads of love and attention please send them my way.

I've ordered the coco noir UK equivalent. Thanks for the tip x

@yillt
I do not know where in relation this member is from your area...but I have invited the member to your thread ---she will quickly be able to let you know geographic local to you......

Princessjay

I can safely say she has gone to a new home :) My other little one seems really active now to! As heart breaking as it was, it was for the best! Ive made some amazing little videos or her climbing, burrowing, running around her little enclosure!!

I also think I may be spoiling her, in the morning I try and feed her before I leave for work, and ive noticed, until I hold her, talk to her and hand feed her she won't eat!! xx