Melodieyy

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello,
I purchased a baby hermanns tortoise this weekend from the reptile convention I went to and I was wondering what her basking temps should be at? I’ve seen so many variations but I want to be sure that I get it right. I’ve seen 90-95 but I’ve also seen 95-100. What should it be? She is only about 2 months old. Thank you so much!

I’ve attached some photos of her because she is so cute:,) I don’t have a name for her yet but I’ve nicknamed her Nugget💗

Attachments

• C1EBED42-8D63-470D-920B-6F3AEE15C43F.jpeg
    C1EBED42-8D63-470D-920B-6F3AEE15C43F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • E3364E0B-6011-48F4-88C0-C0EE86295188.jpeg
    E3364E0B-6011-48F4-88C0-C0EE86295188.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello,
I purchased a baby hermanns tortoise this weekend from the reptile convention I went to and I was wondering what her basking temps should be at? I’ve seen so many variations but I want to be sure that I get it right. I’ve seen 90-95 but I’ve also seen 95-100. What should it be? She is only about 2 months old. Thank you so much!

I’ve attached some photos of her because she is so cute:,) I don’t have a name for her yet but I’ve nicknamed her Nugget💗
Welcome. What a cute little thing she is - and looks like she really enjoys her food, like a healthy tortoise should !
I have a Hermanns too - he had his 22nd birthday last week - we have had him from a baby, and he has brought us a lot of happiness.
I will leave it to the experts to tell you about technical stuff, but Nugget looked looks so sweet I had to write to you.
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

The indoor basking lamp is meant to simulate the sun and give them a warmer than ambient, brightly lit place to raise their body temp up. If we go too hot, they tend to stay out from under it and it will also cause pyramiding. Too cool and it it pointless. I find that 95-100 is just about right.

Most of the care info out in the world will be old, out-dated, and just plain wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Who did you buy it from?

Melodieyy

California
The indoor basking lamp is meant to simulate the sun and give them a warmer than ambient, brightly lit place to raise their body temp up. If we go too hot, they tend to stay out from under it and it will also cause pyramiding. Too cool and it it pointless. I find that 95-100 is just about right.

Most of the care info out in the world will be old, out-dated, and just plain wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Who did you buy it from?
Thank you so much! I have adjusted her settings now for 95-100. I got her from David’s Jungle this weekend at the reptile super show.

Melodieyy

California
Welcome. What a cute little thing she is - and looks like she really enjoys her food, like a healthy tortoise should !
I have a Hermanns too - he had his 22nd birthday last week - we have had him from a baby, and he has brought us a lot of happiness.
I will leave it to the experts to tell you about technical stuff, but Nugget looked looks so sweet I had to write to you.
Angie
Thank you! I love her so much already:)) Wow that’s incredible! He’s older than me! I am debating on a few names for her still, the three options I’ve thought of are Emerald, Venus and Flower. I think I’ll be keeping Nugget as her nickname:)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you! I love her so much already:)) Wow that’s incredible! He’s older than me! I am debating on a few names for her still, the three options I’ve thought of are Emerald, Venus and Flower. I think I’ll be keeping Nugget as her nickname:)
I would suggest you decide on a name which could suit a female or male (e.g.not Venus) as it will be quite a long time before you know if she is in fact a girl -or a boy ! Zola kind of told me what his name was, somehow, and that is a name which can refer to male or female - Emile Zola, the writer, Zola Budd, the former runner - etc.
we weren't sure that he was a boy until he was 3 or 4.
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with Nugget, and if you provide the right conditions, she will do well - there are lots of people here on the forum who will be able to help you if you have problems.
Best wishes from Angie