Baby leopards - how much should i be feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark302

5 Year Member
I have 2, 3 month old leopards, but I am worried about over feeding in case they get too much protein, even though they have a very healthy base diet of dandelions, kale and watercress. They are eating a lot, and seem to want more food every couple of hours throughout the whole day. Is there any guide I can use so as I know they are not being over fed?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I've never had one that young, but from what I have read on here before you should feed once a day an amount they can eat in 15-20 minutes or so. I feed mine twice a day usually, an amount of spring mix and red or green leaf lettuce, which they eat in about 10 minutes. I also throw in a little mazuri with one meal.

Perhaps someone with more experience with young torts can provide more guidance. :)

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree with Greg - I would only feed the Spring Mix, red or green leaf lettuce...and a pellet or two of soaked Mazuri, if you want to feed it. There is alot of oxalyic acid in the dandelions, and I believe, the kale - these would be okay occasionally though. I give Moose a good handful of Spring Mix, sprinkle a little calcium powder and he eats it up. I feed him a second helping (no calcium) later in the day. Occasionally I add the Mazuri, or a small bit of dandelion, cactus, Rose of Sharon, etc. I haven't fed him watercress or kale yet. He's doing really well on this routine. Check out www.africantortoise.com for care and feeding of Leopard tortoises.

mark302

5 Year Member
Hi Sandy & Greg,

Thanks for the feeding advice, I'm glad to hear you both agree on the same system! The african tortoise website doesnt say dandelion has high oxalate content, on the edible landscaping page it lists dandelion as a safe food which is why i have been using it. I live in Ireland, so I'm not really sure what 'spring mix' is composed of. I know iceberg lettuce is not good for them, and spinach too. So the regular soft leaf lettuce is good? What else is in the spring mix I can get for them? I recently read kale has high protein so maybe i will stop that as a staple too. Any comments will be much appreciated.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Mark,

Weeds and grasses are best so as your hatchlings grow you'll want to introduce a variety. But yes, soft leaf lettuce is good.

Here is a great thread by Robyn (Crazy1) on this forum that will explain about Spring Mix:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8672.html

Here is a different thread by Robyn - feeding Desert Torts, Sully's etc.,: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

and one about toxic plants: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8830.html.

You'll find alot of helpful information on this forum that you can apply to what you learn on the africantortoise site and by continuing to ask clarifying questions. There is alot to learn -I'm still and always learning too - so don't get overwhelmed:)

Status
Not open for further replies.