Baby Redfoot, white scales? pics incl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Hi guys, this baby redfoot is only about 2.5-3 inches SCL, probably closer to 2.5 inches. I have had him for just 2 days now and it seems that some of his scales on legs have turned white.

I am not sure if it is a fungus or not, but the white does not come off when sprayed with water, nor rubbed very gently with a toothbrush.

Here are some pictures of the plastron, and the legs. Forgive my camera, it is not the best.

Thanks in advance!

Pics of legs with white and plastron shots:
cherry white.jpg
cherry white 2.jpg
Plast 1.jpg
plast 2.jpg
Plast 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I appreciate the 50+ views so far, but does anyone have any ideas?

The pics of the legs were right after I misted him.

On the plastron shots you can also see some "white" scales near the tail area.

I know I am new here to these forums, but any accurate help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
That looks fungal the way it's slowly spreading between leg scales. Not a huge deal, just get some betadine or povidone iodine (dilute this to 1 part iodine in 10 parts water) apply and scrub lightly with a soft brush, then apply some antifungal cream with the main ingredient listed as clotrimazole. I'd apply the betadine or povidone iodine scrub 1-2 times, then discontinue this and only apply the fungal cream.

The plastron looks pretty good, there's just the slightest formation of fungal rot beginning (all those light colored spots). Do the same thing to these as you did to the leg scales. After 6-8 days, it should be all cleared up.

You may want to consider the wetness of your substrate to prevent any future issues. Good info here on shell rot http://tortoiselibrary.com/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi mightymizz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I don't have anything to add to what Redstrike told you.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Redstrike,

Appreciate the response. I looked back over the pics that I received from the seller before I bought this guy, and I do see some white on his legs. Not nearly the amount that he has now, but it was there.

Should I be afraid of getting too much betadine on the tort? Or should I lightly brush his entire plastron, then rinse, obviously avoiding any solution getting in his eyes or mouth.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this from these pictures, I would love to hear them as well.

From the plastron pictures, what type of redfoot do you think he is? I was told he was a brazilian cherryhead.

Thanks guys!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. After doing the above suggestions, keep us posted on how he's doing.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome! Lots of times breeders will keep there mulch too wet and not changed out enough causing mold spores in te substrate. Which in turn can cause an unsuitable and unsanitary situation. Which will in turn cause a bacterial infection as apparently seen here. Just scrub and clean every day in a nice soak and it should clear up.

Should I be afraid of getting too much betadine on the tort? Or should I lightly brush his entire plastron, then rinse, obviously avoiding any solution getting in his eyes or

Thanks guys!
[/quote]

Definitely do not get it in his eyes. It's very suitable and best to go ahead and scrub the shell as we'll. Just make sure to not get it on his eyes or mouth. Rinse once scrubbed and should see it dissipate over time.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mightymizz said:
Redstrike,

Appreciate the response. I looked back over the pics that I received from the seller before I bought this guy, and I do see some white on his legs. Not nearly the amount that he has now, but it was there.

Should I be afraid of getting too much betadine on the tort? Or should I lightly brush his entire plastron, then rinse, obviously avoiding any solution getting in his eyes or mouth.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this from these pictures, I would love to hear them as well.

From the plastron pictures, what type of redfoot do you think he is? I was told he was a brazilian cherryhead.

Thanks guys!

Yea, just do your best to avoid getting the cleanser on the torts head & face. I would place your thumb between its leg and head, this way it keeps the leg out and guards its eyes, mouth, and nose from the betadine.

The plastron and coloration say Eastern/Brazillian to me.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Well, let me give a 24 hour update. I was encouraged by the seller of these babies to try putting Neosporin on the affected areas. I did that last night, and this morning the majority of the white was gone!

I will get some pictures up later today.

I thought that Neosporin was for bacteria, and of course the fungal medicine for fungus. I would also think that a bacteria medicine would have no effect on a fungus?

Any thoughts on this? Also, be on the lookout for pictures today as well.

Thanks.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Ok, here are some 24 hour after using Neosporin Pictures. Looks like quite an improvement to me, but would still like to hear thoughts regarding my previous post.

Day 2 legs.jpg

Day 2 plast.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Either it was a bacterial issue or the Neosporin did have some effect on whatever fungal pathogen it was (perhaps the petroleum base could have smothered it?). Looks much better! You may want to hit it with another dose to be safe.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Jacqui said:
Amazing how quickly it goes away.

Mine had a little plastron rot before, but I've never seen it disappear this quickly, which makes me think it was bacterial and not fungal. Still, that was a rapid turn around!

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Well, thanks for the input! Yeah, the white disappeared overnight, and the spots on the plastron also look much better.

I will continue to monitor the spots until I am confident they are gone. I did hit it with another dose today, and wont be opposed to doing a third round tomorrow if needed.

It might be interesting in the future for not very advanced symptoms like mine to see if someone else has success with the Neosporin as well.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Today, all the white seems to be gone with no visible indication that it was ever there. I will keep monitoring of course but for now, I feel that whatever it was appears to be gone.

I am so glad that this stuff appears to be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.