Baby tortoise inactive, help?!

kaia

Location (City and/or State)
Skopje, Macedonia
Hey everyone,
so, a few days ago I got a baby Greek tortoise, and I set up a terrarium for her(/him). The problem is, it isn't eating, isn't drinking, and the only thing it does is sleep all day and hide. Is it sick? What do I do?
(Note: There are no reptile vets where I come from and no UV lamps, the one I ordered online came broken and I am waiting for a new one, but I doubt that is the issue since I've only had my tort for a few days)

IMG_6635.JPG

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
New torts take a while to feel safe in a new home. Babies especially hide a lot too. As long as your temps are of he should be fine in a few days.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yep. Make sure your temps are good and let it get use to things. Torts hate change and it takes a few weeks for them to get comfortable.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They sometimes eat the first day and then not after that for a while.
Sometimes they won't eat at all until they realize this is their new home and there are no enemies here and that you are the food god and not going to eat him.
It takes time, but as long as your set up is right, he should start eating in a few days.
You could try something mixed into his water so when he has his soaks and drinks he will get some nutrition inside him.
Or offer tasty treats that may not be the best food for him, but will get him started.

kaia

Skopje, Macedonia
Did he eat well the first day or two then quit or just not eating at all?
Not eating at all. Since I found him on a street, upside down, I think he is still just scared and getting used to everything. It wouldn't surprise me if someone kicked him while at the street, people sometimes tend to do that.

kaia

Skopje, Macedonia
They sometimes eat the first day and then not after that for a while.
Sometimes they won't eat at all until they realize this is their new home and there are no enemies here and that you are the food god and not going to eat him.
It takes time, but as long as your set up is right, he should start eating in a few days.
You could try something mixed into his water so when he has his soaks and drinks he will get some nutrition inside him.
Or offer tasty treats that may not be the best food for him, but will get him started.
I haven't seen him drink either, which of course is a bad thing. I'm getting a UV lamp today (FINALLY found one) so he's going to be alright I think, going to make him feel more at home. Thanks for the advice!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have you given him a soak in some warm water. You might find that he takes a drink during his soak. It's likely that he never got water from a bowl before and is used to drinking from a puddle. I have a tortoise that wont eat food from a plate. The food must be placed on the ground.
they are funny animals.

kaia

Skopje, Macedonia
Have you given him a soak in some warm water. You might find that he takes a drink during his soak. It's likely that he never got water from a bowl before and is used to drinking from a puddle. I have a tortoise that wont eat food from a plate. The food must be placed on the ground.
they are funny animals.
Whenever I try placing him in a bit of warm water (in a separate tank) he gets scared and tries to get out by scratching the tank... And I can't put water in the terrarium other than in a food bowl. :/

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Whenever I try placing him in a bit of warm water (in a separate tank) he gets scared and tries to get out by scratching the tank... And I can't put water in the terrarium other than in a food bowl. :/
Mine scratch to get out too but it's good for them so keep doing it. Soak him for 15-20 mins everyday in warm water that's only an inch or two deep. Be sure to change out the water as it gets cold and put it in a container they can't climb out of. Keep offering up food. It's probably just scared.

kaia

Skopje, Macedonia
Mine scratch to get out too but it's good for them so keep doing it. Soak him for 15-20 mins everyday in warm water that's only an inch or two deep. Be sure to change out the water as it gets cold and put it in a container they can't climb out of. Keep offering up food. It's probably just scared.
Will do. Thanks a lot!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. It doesn't seem to be something that most enjoy a lot, but it is beneficial for them. Make sure that the warm water is only warm...Not hot. And not too deep.

M

Maggie Cummings

Listen to tortdad, he's knowledgeable.

Put the warm water up to his 'bridge' where the top shell (carapace) meets the bottom shell, (plastron). Mix in 1/2 jar baby food carrots. Use a smallish container. Soak for 20 minutes or so, even if he wants out. TOUGH! He needs the hydration. The baby food will soak in the cloaca some and in the soft spot under his neck. It works a lot of the time. You soak him daily, offer food daily twice daily and if you do thid daily, he'll come around. Does he have an outside pen? Can he get some sun?...keep us posted