Baby tortoise

Leonardthetortoise!

Location (City and/or State)
Savannah
Hi all so I have a baby leopard tortoise and one of his eyes is having trouble opening up the temp of his enclosure is 85 to 90 degrees and the humidity is around 70-80 % it does seem to help when I soak him for about 15-20mins he is still eating and is active is this a common thing that happens?

Seb

Cheshire
Hey there, what substrate are you using in his enclosure? Some of them can be quite dusty and cause eye issues.
Also, what type of light are you using? There are a couple of types that can affect your tortoise's eyes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It happens when something is wrong.

What type of substrate are you using? Is it damp? Does he have a humid hide?

What is the overnight low temp in the enclosure, and what is the temp in the basking area directly under the bulb?

Where did you get the baby and how was it started?

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
The substrate is zoo MED forest floor it’s not damp should it be? The low temp is around 75 he does have a humid hide we got him from tortoise town we have had him over a month and his eye just started to get bad

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
Hey there, what substrate are you using in his enclosure? Some of them can be quite dusty and cause eye issues.
Also, what type of light are you using? There are a couple of types that can affect your tortoise's eyes
I am using zoo MED forest floor and the bulb is a ceramic zoo med basking lamp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The substrate is zoo MED forest floor it’s not damp should it be? The low temp is around 75 he does have a humid hide we got him from tortoise town we have had him over a month and his eye just started to get bad
Yes. The substrate should be damp, and there is no way humidity is 70-80% in an open topped enclosure with dry substrate. Ae you using the stick on type dial thermometer/hygrometers? They are not accurate or reliable.

75 is too cool for a baby. It should never drop below 80 in the coldest part of the enclosure.

Ceramic bulbs are not basking lamps. Do you have a ceramic heating element to maintain ambient temperature, or do you have an incandescent basking bulb, or both?

Tortoise town has gotten terrible reviews here. They source their babies from the typical dry start breeders. Here is a thread explaining that in more detail:

This thread will explain all the missing details for you:

Reactions: Ink

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
Yes. The substrate should be damp, and there is no way humidity is 70-80% in an open topped enclosure with dry substrate. Ae you using the stick on type dial thermometer/hygrometers? They are not accurate or reliable.

75 is too cool for a baby. It should never drop below 80 in the coldest part of the enclosure.

Ceramic bulbs are not basking lamps. Do you have a ceramic heating element to maintain ambient temperature, or do you have an incandescent basking bulb, or both?

Tortoise town has gotten terrible reviews here. They source their babies from the typical dry start breeders. Here is a thread explaining that in more detail:

This thread will explain all the missing details for you:
Thank you so much both of those were a big help!

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
Any digital one from a hardware store should be fine. Something like this:
View attachment 292592
Hey so just one more question I made some changes to his enclosure I got his substrate damp changed the bulb I was using to the 45 incandescent flood bulb and got a new thermostat and but a top on the enclosure so it was a little more enclosed to keep in the humidity but to keep the humidity up do I need to keep the humidifier on all the time or have it on a timer? Again thank you for all the help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey so just one more question I made some changes to his enclosure I got his substrate damp changed the bulb I was using to the 45 incandescent flood bulb and got a new thermostat and but a top on the enclosure so it was a little more enclosed to keep in the humidity but to keep the humidity up do I need to keep the humidifier on all the time or have it on a timer? Again thank you for all the help
I wouldn't use a humidifier at all. If you can't maintain humidity without a humidifier, then you have too much ventilation in your enclosure. Instead of adding a humidifier, just reduce the ventilation.

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
I wouldn't use a humidifier at all. If you can't maintain humidity without a humidifier, then you have too much ventilation in your enclosure. Instead of adding a humidifier, just reduce the ventilation.
Okay I will do that thank you