Best adhesive for shell?

Ember909

Location (City and/or State)
California
I don't know exactly what forum this belongs in, I hope I got it right. I'm getting a tortoise soon, and I was wondering about something. I have a fairly large yard, so I plan to set up an outdoor enclosure for when weather is favorable. Of course it will be fenced in, but I thought to help track the tort, I could put a small orange flag or something on the shell. My question is: What kind of adhesive should I use? I want one that will stick okay, but obviously it shouldn't damage the shell when removed. Any thoughts? Or is the whole thing a bad idea?

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
not sure that's a good idea,
you should be able to find the tortoise by looking at it and making sure it can't burrow and escape.
personally, i wouldn't do it
this is just my opinion ?‍♀️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know exactly what forum this belongs in, I hope I got it right. I'm getting a tortoise soon, and I was wondering about something. I have a fairly large yard, so I plan to set up an outdoor enclosure for when weather is favorable. Of course it will be fenced in, but I thought to help track the tort, I could put a small orange flag or something on the shell. My question is: What kind of adhesive should I use? I want one that will stick okay, but obviously it shouldn't damage the shell when removed. Any thoughts? Or is the whole thing a bad idea?
I wouldn't do a flag. That will get hung up and prevent normal movement through the bushes and undergrowth. If you really want something, you can use a dog tag or one of those "Tile" type blue tooth trackers. Attach it only to the middle of a scute and don't get any adhesive on the growing scute margin. You can use "GE Silicone 1". Apply it on a day when the tortoise can be outside for at least a few hours to let it dry out and mostly cure before bringing the tortoise indoors.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have personally done thousands of tests on myself with GE Silicone and would have no issue using it on my tort if needed.

Ember909

California
I wouldn't do a flag. That will get hung up and prevent normal movement through the bushes and undergrowth. If you really want something, you can use a dog tag or one of those "Tile" type blue tooth trackers. Attach it only to the middle of a scute and don't get any adhesive on the growing scute margin. You can use "GE Silicone 1". Apply it on a day when the tortoise can be outside for at least a few hours to let it dry out and mostly cure before bringing the tortoise indoors.
Okay, thanks for the info.