Big new enclosure help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
OMG you guys can be harsh, I for one am glad she is not just taking one persons opinion as gospel.

Why shouldn't there be a dry section?

Where does it say that if you ask for suggestions you HAVE to follow them?

If I tell you I'm an expert on the sky and that its falling are you just going to believe me?
No, but if you ask for suggestions and you don't agree with the answers you might say something like, "ok, thank you." and move on.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
OMG you guys can be harsh, I for one am glad she is not just taking one persons opinion as gospel.

Where does it say that if you ask for suggestions you HAVE to follow them?

If I tell you I'm an expert on the sky and that its falling are you just going to believe me?

It's not the gospel of one person. It's the collective knowledge of thousands of people who have kept these animals who have come to find it is not needed or beneficial in any way to keep a "dry section"

DanB

South Florida
Let me rephrase, a part of the enclosure where the substrate will not absorb moisture. Now the air will still be humid in that part but the ground will be dry.

Everyone keeps saying that south Florida is a perfect area for reds to live outside, well we have dry times, still humid but dry. When the sun is out during these times the top surface of the ground is very dry. Are you saying we should go out and spray it down every day its not raining.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to wrap my head around all the inconveniences.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Let me rephrase, a part of the enclosure where the substrate will not absorb moisture. Now the air will still be humid in that part but the ground will be dry.

Everyone keeps saying that south Florida is a perfect area for reds to live outside, well we have dry times, still humid but dry. When the sun is out during these times the top surface of the ground is very dry. Are you saying we should go out and spray it down every day its not raining.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to wrap my head around all the inconveniences.
No I'd have to disagree. If the substrate is moist on one side of the enclosure and 8ft away on the other side of the enclosure the substrate is bone dry then your going to have a HUGE difference in humidity from one side of the enclosure to the other. Which is not what you want for these animals. You want a consistent ambient humidity. Also as far as keeping them in Florida there are major difference between keeping a Tortoise outside in FL vs trying to create an enclosure with the correct microclimate indoors in NJ, which is where the OP is from.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Inconveniences? We are talking about an Amazon JUNGLE tortoise. Duplicate that and you will be ready to keep a Yellowfoot tortoise. Otherwise.. do not be inconvenienced .

DanB

South Florida
Sorry wrong word there, I ment to say inconsistentsies in information. One sight swears by one way another site is 180 out. How is a newbie to know which one is best when they both say they are right.

I'm not saying your wrong on this, just looking at it from all angles as everyone should and trying to piece it all together for there best quality of life.

DanB

South Florida
I'm in Homestead FL, south of Miami and in my yard under a tree it's wet to the touch but out in the sun it's dry as a bone. Humidity in both areas are the same. So you say inside habitats should be kept different then outside?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm in Homestead FL, south of Miami and in my yard under a tree it's wet to the touch but out in the sun it's dry as a bone. Humidity in both areas are the same. So you say inside habitats should be kept different then outside?
How many Large... Say 8ft by 3ft enclosures have you setup in your time where you've dampened the substrate in areas and setup temperature and humidity gauges in different areas of to see what the climate would range throughout? I can guarantee you there will be a huge difference in humidity from one side to the other unless your using a closed chamber system which the air can't escape. Your not taking into account that there are many other factors at play outside vs inside. Also maybe "dry section" is bad wording. It doesn't necessarily mean wet to the touch like you keep saying. It means moisture in the air. Your substrate can be wet for 2 inches then have 4 inches of dry substrate on top of it and you will get good humidity in the air that way. The Tort is walking on "dry" ground, but there's moisture in the air. Doesn't necessarily mean wet to the touch.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is my hatchling enclosure. The substrate is dry on top.IMG_20190109_184347331.jpg
There is plenty of humidity in the air though as you can see from a side view
IMG_20190109_184404300.jpg
Not really wet and dry areas just consistent humidity thru out. Which is what you will find where they live naturally.

DanB

South Florida
I see what your saying.

Side note, condensation does not always mean high humidity, the side of the enclosure is cooler then the air inside, warmer air can hold more moisture then cooler air so the dew point of the side wall is a lot lower.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Actually, with RF/YF tortoises it's good to have them on a substrate that's dry on top and moist underneath as they are prone to shell rot when sitting on wet substrate.

DanB

South Florida
Actually, with RF/YF tortoises it's good to have them on a substrate that's dry on top and moist underneath as they are prone to shell rot when sitting on wet substrate.

I agree with you on this and also where I find lots of different info, people keep saying in there natural habitat it's always wet but being wet all the time causes shell rot.