Box Turtle 🐢 Poop 💩 Concern

Maria_Z

Location (City and/or State)
Geismar Louisiana
Hey again,
I’m concerned about my small box turtle. My baby has been pooping quite a lot, not only that but the size of the poop is quite large. Is this normal ? Should I cut down on the food ?
Thanks 🙏🏻

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Great question M-Z!

I've had box turtles for 6 decades.....you really can't go wrong by having food available to them at all times.

They will eat their fill and go off and doze under some leaves, then come back to eat when hungry. They won't eat till they vomit like a puppy will.

good luck,

jeff

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just to illustrate your concern, please take a picture of your turtle posing proudly beside his 💩. It may be bigger than we all think 🤔!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Just to illustrate your concern, please take a picture of your turtle posing proudly beside his 💩. It may be bigger than we all think 🤔!
You asked for it Tammy. Paxton and poops

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_230420054.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240211_230420054.MP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
There is one under his foot and one hidden. Larger than a jumbo sized blueberry each. It might have been 1 if I didn't walk by and disturb him. A jumbo blueberry is a lot bigger than the regular sized blueberry.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
The one that's clearly visible is a lot smaller than his foot. My Hermann's occasionally passes "boulders" about as big as the bottom of his foot. I would consider those to be big. But the size in the picture would be medium to small range...

That's just speaking from my experience with Hermann's and Greek tortoises. I haven't had the pleasure of owning an ornate box turtle, so things might be a bit different with those.