Bubbles Galore

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Update on bubbles.
She now lives in an outdoor pen 24/7. At least till it starts dropping below 70f at night. Moving around on the dirt and plants is good for her. Has about 70 sq ' to explore.

Much stronger , but still not much weight gain. Eats like a champ. She still gets water therapy but I've cut it down to 1/2 hr a day.

Natural sunlight + food & exercise had firmed up her plastron. So from here it really is up to her body to correct the MBD as best it can.

She may never walk like a normal tort. She still pushes and scoots with back legs. But she gets around somehow. I watch her working to move across her enclosure and come to her feeding tile and she has to put so much effort into it - but I don't help her , I just let her struggle till she gets it. And eventually she does.

In nature one in this condition would die - but it was humans that made her this way , so I guess it's only right I provide what she needs and give her a chance. She is so used to me handling her , with the therapy , checks and moving her around.

She is my only ( and first ) Redfoot. My little pine cone :( , scooter with an underbite. A face only a mother ( or daddy) could love.

She will always be a reminder to me of how important proper care is , and why the knowledgable people in the hobby are passionate about teaching

XImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441977918.955892.jpg
I

Alaskamike

South Florida
Close up of her underbite. Believe it or not , this is better since feeding her on a paving tile.

But I'm getting a drummel this weekend to take some off. Once I trim it some ill post a pic. I think I'll need to be careful because this really seems to be the way her jaw is made. If I take too much off it might be harder for her to eat.

Or get her mouth completely closed.
This seems like a congenital defect rather than a consequence or care.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441978784.461568.jpg

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Close up of her underbite. Believe it or not , this is better since feeding her on a paving tile.

But I'm getting a drummel this weekend to take some off. Once I trim it some ill post a pic. I think I'll need to be careful because this really seems to be the way her jaw is made. If I take too much off it might be harder for her to eat.

Or get her mouth completely closed.
This seems like a congenital defect rather than a consequence or care.

View attachment 148007
Great job...she's come along way. Again...like I said, she's now in good hands.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well. Bubbles is now for the Sumner an outside tortoise. But temps will be changing soon and she is too small and delicate for the winter outside - even in South Florida. So ....

Building her an indoor enclosure. Got it well started , next will be to Dry-Lok the inside. I think I'll build a slanted top for the plexiglass. Maybe put the top in sections with hinges to open each side. Still thinking about it.

She has improved scooting around in a natural environment outside.

Here is the start.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442924426.809806.jpg

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
May I ask for a step by step process on how you are building your enclosure? I'm building one for my boxies as well but butting heads with my mother (she said she would help me but is shooting down every idea I have and is now dragging her feet. I rent off of her) and I'm thinking maybe if I show her a step by step process she will finally understand what I'm trying to do.

Alaskamike

South Florida
May I ask for a step by step process on how you are building your enclosure? I'm building one for my boxies as well but butting heads with my mother (she said she would help me but is shooting down every idea I have and is now dragging her feet. I rent off of her) and I'm thinking maybe if I show her a step by step process she will finally understand what I'm trying to do.
Angel ,
When I build like that it's kinda a work as I go thing.
I can't tell you basics with a few tips.
Plywood comes in 8' x 4' sheets. I always use 5/8 th thickness.

If you want the sides ( for instance ) 18" high. You can ask a place like Home Depot to make the cuts for you. ( rip it at 18" longwise ) They might make other cuts for you if they are not busy and you are sweet. :)

But knowing the size of a plywood sheet , design your enclosure box to use it efficiently.
Depending on size you may need 2 sheets.

I then simply used a tube of wood glue and finish nails to build the basic box. ( a good carpenter would have framed a box first out of 2x2's , and I would with anything larger than 3'x6'.

If you frame a box. Then it is firmer and will stay square.

Then I cut the legs out of landscape timber. These come in 8'. And are cheap less than $2 apiece.

The cross frame pieces on the legs are just 2x4's.

I set the box on top of the legs where I wanted them and screwed them in through the bottom of the box. Using 3" screws.

The top frame is made out of old plywood too , but if I was buying it , would have used what's called 1"x3".
That frame is what keeps my box square.and what my frame for a plexiglass top will be attached to.

The thing is, there are so many ways to do this , without plans it is kinda a create as you go project. I used what had in left over wood. No real plans

If you are not much of a builder , or don't have many tools , starting with an old bookcase is a good shortcut.

Many of them have flimsy backs so you might need to cut the bottom out of plywood and attach.

The wood glue is called " liquid nails". Works good when used with fasteners.

I haven't done the complete top yet , but I'll post it when I do. I want to make a slanted top to hang the MVB bulb a bit higher and use plexiglass to make it a closed chamber.

Inside is painted with DryLok so it is waterproof.

Good luck with your plans ( and your mother :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
I was thinking about Bubbles today. How's she doing? She's my favorite special case on TFO these days.
Thank you. :)
she has made some progress. But still a long way to go.

Progress thus far
- plastron firm
- eyes clear
- no signs of RTI
- still eats good.
- now living in an outside enclosure and moves around , hides , and suns herself.
- gets water therapy 1x/ day.

The main issue now is walking. Soon I will do a little vid of her moving. She has lifted a bit off her knees. Kinda walks splay legged on the sides of her back feet. But this is a great improvement from using her back elbows and scooting herself along dragging her plastron.

Gives me hope she may walk again more normally one day.

She hasn't really gained weight yet. But I do believe she was almost entirely immobile when I got her. Now she eats right , gets sun and exercise. So she should gain a bit soon.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Thank you. :)
she has made some progress. But still a long way to go.

Progress thus far
- plastron firm
- eyes clear
- no signs of RTI
- still eats good.
- now living in an outside enclosure and moves around , hides , and suns herself.
- gets water therapy 1x/ day.

The main issue now is walking. Soon I will do a little vid of her moving. She has lifted a bit off her knees. Kinda walks splay legged on the sides of her back feet. But this is a great improvement from using her back elbows and scooting herself along dragging her plastron.

Gives me hope she may walk again more normally one day.

She hasn't really gained weight yet. But I do believe she was almost entirely immobile when I got her. Now she eats right , gets sun and exercise. So she should gain a bit soon.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
This is one of the most heart breaking AND heart warming stories I've ever heard. Heart breaking because of the abject neglect of the previous owner (shame on them!). Heart warming because she has someone like you to save her life. I wish there were more like you, Mike, and please keep us updated on Bubbles' progress. She (and you) is an inspiration for us all!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Bubbles felt a bit more solid today so I weighed her - and low and behold, a small gain! Today she is 364 grams. She is also almost walking, so much better; legs splayed out in back, but using the sides of her feet instead of her elbows. So I thought I would put together a little video of her progress and how she was....and is now being rehabbed.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Excellent job with him/her Mike. There is no thumbs-up emoticon, so just imagine one here. ;-).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Bubbles felt a bit more solid today so I weighed her - and low and behold, a small gain! Today she is 364 grams. She is also almost walking, so much better; legs splayed out in back, but using the sides of her feet instead of her elbows. So I thought I would put together a little video of her progress and how she was....and is now being rehabbed.

Excellent work mike, and a good educational video too.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I never had a sense of scale, she's just a little thing. I'm glad to hear she's doing well. I always check for updates on her.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Bubbles update
The greatest improvement so far has been her use of back legs. Still splayed a little , and not fully on feet -she still uses a bit of the forearm. but she moves all over w/o problems. Shell is completely off the ground when she walks. I no longer do the water ( swimming ) therapy since she is outside and has hills & valleys to climb. She climbs in and out of water by herself. I bring her in at night when it drops below 70f.

Weight gains are slow. But plastron is firm. Eyes bright and eats well.

The little trooper is going to be just fine :) small , like a pine cone , but fine all the same. :)