Cactus consumption help.

Speedy808

Location (City and/or State)
Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii
Hi, I was wondering how often can you feed your Russian the pads? Do they give the same effect as aloe vera? Also, I read somewhere that the larger pads isn't all that great to feed since it contains a higher level of oaxilic acids? So should only the newer pads be offered, and for the fruit of this cactus is the greener ones better to give more often than the ripe ones?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Too much cactus can cause diarrhea I have heard. I give my tortoise cactus every two or three weeks. I just buy one pad of it at the grocery store and feed it over the course of a week. I try to scrape most of the spines off with a knife.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I was wondering how often can you feed your Russian the pads? Do they give the same effect as aloe vera? Also, I read somewhere that the larger pads isn't all that great to feed since it contains a higher level of oaxilic acids? So should only the newer pads be offered, and for the fruit of this cactus is the greener ones better to give more often than the ripe ones?

So many questions...

1. Yes you can feed it to russians.
2. Not the same effect as aloe. At least not in my tortoises.
3. Larger pads are fine. I feed both as part of a varied diet.
4. I only feed ripe cactus fruits.

Speedy808

Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii
Too much cactus can cause diarrhea I have heard. I give my tortoise cactus every two or three weeks. I just buy one pad of it at the grocery store and feed it over the course of a week. I try to scrape most of the spines off with a knife.
Thanks.