Can this pool work as an enclosure?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Hi I am wondering if this will work as an enclosure? Will the Polyester tolerate the heat lamps?

You can buy them on Amazon for about $110. They look pretty sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQD5Y16/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You could rig a solid PVC bar across the top to mount the lights. Also a cover can be made pretty easy for those with hatchlings. Any thoughts? My little guy is getting bigger and I want upgrade his current enclosure. He is in 36" by 60" enclosure now. This pool is 94" x 59" x 32" so substantially bigger. Also this seems easy to move if you need to.

I also found a smaller size for those with babies and don't need a big one.

Let me know what you guys think. I might order one to test the quality.

James

81F8Wr6YEwL._SL1500_.jpg
09847691-769c-4d51-9e05-983d9be88795_2.d3d9ca55aa60204a9249c195ba2e7b2a.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't see why it would not work.
make sure you keep posting if you decide to go that route. It may help others in the future.
I DO wonder about claws wearing through in the corners. But nothing else comes to mind.

ethan508

Northern Utah
I second the idea that puncture could be a problem. I wonder if you could find a repair kit just in case that happens.

I also wonder how thick the polyester film is. Heat, humidity and UV (even UV from lamps) will all degrade plastics. I looked up a data sheet on polyester and it show that 12 month of sun will degrade 33% of the strength of the polyester. Some of these products use further UV blockers but they might not be present in a cheaper kids pool. I couldn't find long term heat or humidity degradation but short term you don't loose strength until 150 °F. Humidity will accelerate aging but not as bad as UV.

So if the film was extra thick/strong then this isn't a big deal but if it is just barely strong enough then loosing that strengthen is problematic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it would work. The heat lamps should be far enough away form the sides, so that shouldn't be a factor. Some of those plastics smell pretty strong. I wonder if those fumes would be any problem indoors?