Cannibal

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I have finally had to separate my two painted hatchlings after I caught one with the other in his mouth. Although one has grown significantly faster than the other, they have always seemed to live together happily. Im not sure why crush would feel the need to go cannibal on his brother. I feed them daily. I have also noticed he is no longer afraid when I put my hand in the tank, he actually tries to bite me now. Why is he so hungry all the time? My other turt eats until he's full and then has a nice long bask. Anything I can do about this? Having 2 separate aquariums is quite expensive, but I clearly can't keep them together any longer. Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The action you saw wasn't due to hunger, but rather due to aggression. The one doing the biting was telling the other one to get out of the first one's territory. You did a good thing by separating them. Water turtles usually get along together ok if they're in a pretty big tank/pond, but in this case, it was the right thing to separate them.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I remember a while back when I told you the problems that can happen with keeping a pair.
You've now witnessed what I was talking about.
Glad you finally separated them.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
It wasn't even biting. He was trying to chew/eat the other, like had his whole body in his mouth and was gnawing. It was horrifying. I'm worried if I added a third turtle, he would just try to eat him too.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Seems pretty aggressive.. If it were me I wouldn't consider adding a third turtle

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I've decided just to keep him separated. He tries to bite me anytime I put my hand in the tank, even when dropping food in, like he's more concerned with my hand than the food. I definitely don't want to risk it. He seems happy alone anyway. I may consider getting my other turtle a friend in the future though, because he does seem lonely.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He tries to bite me anytime I put my hand in the tank, even when dropping food in, like he's more concerned with my hand than the food

Sounds as though he has associated you as an extension of the food being dropped in....hence he is trying to eat the whole thing....you are dealing with an aquatic turtle...they are meat eaters....you are meat, nothing personal on the turtles part :D

When he was "tasting" the other turtle, was it near feeding time? was there food floating in the water? Is the "tastee" alot smaller? Consumption size? I mean turtles are quirky that way....

ashbelys

5 Year Member
No, it wasn't feeding time. And I feed them daily so it's not like he was starving. The other turtle is a lot smaller but I wouldn't say small enough to eat. And they've been together since they hatched. They are both still very young. They were born this past August, so I feel like it's really early for aggression to set in.

The tank is 10g, which is what the breeder told me to get. The larger turtle is about 2" and the smaller one is only 1"

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you do not separate them, the smaller one is likely to suffer, possibly even stop eating and die.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
They were in the 10g together until this incident happened. I've have them in separate tanks since then. It's been about 2-3 weeks now that they've been separated.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
ashbelys said:
They were in the 10g together until this incident happened. I've have them in separate tanks since then. It's been about 2-3 weeks now that they've been separated.

They have 20 gallon kits at Wal-Mart or Petsmart for around 50 -60 bucks. Also, Petco has a dollar a gallon sale once a quarter or so. they just ended on on the 25th. It doesn't come with anything but buying ala-cart can sometimes be cheaper if you get the tank for a dollar a gallon. Until then, they sell dividers used for breeding fish. You could divide and put a basking rock on either side of the divide and still only use one filter and one heat lamp.

crice

It is aggression not hunger, turtles see each tort as "weaker links"...

Turtles get accustomed to feeding, a scientist used to do experiments with dogs, ring a bell, dogs salivate then they are fed. After time of the bell ringing they associate the bell with food (your hand with feeding)....

My 10 turtles, they see me tey think food they push one another out of the way to get closer to me. Your issue may be too small of a tank.. Turtles are to have 5 -10 gallons per inch on tier shells. 5" turtle should have a 40 to 50 g tank...

Provide a bigger tank, more hide outs, and watch them closely. Painters are little **** heads... I have one names "Jaws" do I need to explain why? lol.

I suggest a bigger tank maybe an extra smaller basking spot.. Or your turtle just may be all around aggressive. They have their own personalities