can't get temperature right

leanneb85

5 Year Member
Hi, I've just purchased a horsefield tortoise. I'm having touble with the basking temperature. I have a single 100w bulb with heat and uvb but everytime I take the temperature its always around 22- 25 degrees Celsius. I've already adjusted the height and its at the minimum as I have read that it can't be below 12''. Am I measuring the temperature incorrectly? Where should I point the thermometer? lol. He was very active and eating well today but for the last few hours he has been hiding in his cave which I thought may suggest he's too hot. So confused.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you don't already. Get a heat temp gun, then put a pebble under the light and measure the temp of that. It can be lower than 12". It's just the higher the better to spread your uv.

— Gus

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here and I'm sure you'll get the help you need. Good luck.

leanneb85

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here and I'm sure you'll get the help you need. Good luck.
Thank you. I absolutely love him(well assuming it's a boy) he's gorgeous! I only bought him today so I'm a bit on edge, wondering if he's happy and panicking if he hasn't moved in a while etc... also there are so many websites and people that give you different information but I'm sure i will learn it's likes and dislikes.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You came to the PERFECT place to learn a good way to keep your tortoise healthy. Congrats on your addition.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Take it easy. I used to panic when I first got my beloved Greek tortoise. Slowly I began to get used it and understand it. I did a lot of research on torts, and later joined the forum where I got a lot of help and advise as I'd NVER had a pet before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you measuring that temp?

It is normal for them to hide a lot in their first few days or weeks. Get the temps right and give him time to settle in. Tortoises don't like change.

leanneb85

5 Year Member

It is normal for them to hide a lot in their first few days or weeks. Get the temps right and give him time to settle in. Tortoises don't like change.
I'm using an infra red temperature gun directly on the substrate under the basking lamp. That is what the pet store told me to do but I'm never getting a 30-32 degree reading. The temperatures in the cooler areas are fine and I've just gone and checked on him he is sleeping in his hut and that's a good 17 degrees so I'm happy with that. I'm just a bit worried as i know the basking temperature is very important.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I agree with Tom when he said that torts don't like change. A couple of weeks ago I changed one of the carpets in my flat. Believe it or not, I noticed that my beloved tort's attitude soemhow changed. It roamed around the place seeming to wonder: "What on earth is this?!" Funny isn't it? But it's true.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm using an infra red temperature gun directly on the substrate under the basking lamp. That is what the pet store told me to do but I'm never getting a 30-32 degree reading. The temperatures in the cooler areas are fine and I've just gone and checked on him he is sleeping in his hut and that's a good 17 degrees so I'm happy with that. I'm just a bit worried as i know the basking temperature is very important.

I like to use a flat rock or piece of slate under my bulbs. Makes checking basking temps much easier. With damp substrate you can sometimes get the effects of evaporative cooling into your readings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
While 17 degrees is acceptable as a night temp for russians, you might want to keep it warmer for a while while he settles in. Especially with fall setting in and winter coming soon. I would try to get day time ambient temps on the cool side at least up to 21 and better 23-24. Cool temps at this time of year just make them want to shut down and sleep the winter away. You might try keeping the lights on for 14 hours a day too.

leanneb85

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom. I am trying that now although the rock is taking a while to heat up. I guess that the damp topsoil is the issue. He's basking to the side of the lamp which after reading the forum suggests it's too hot so I've highered the lamp.Hopefully it's ok now. How long do they take to get active? also should they wake up by themselves? I had to wake him up this morning.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I sometimes have to wake my torts to come out and eat so that the food doesn't get all wilted, etc. It's not uncommon for them to eat and then go back into a spot and sleep. Especially if it's very warm.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
So how did the temp look once you let that rock heat up?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

leanneb85

5 Year Member
So how did the temp look once you let that rock heat up?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
I let it get to 30 degrees then removed it but as he wasn't basking directly underneath I have highered the lamp. He became quite after 10 mins he ate his food had a poop and is now sleeping behind his rock. I will keep an eye on him when he basks again to see if he lies directly underneath if not I will higher it again. Would be be the right thing to do?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Leave the rock under the the light for a couple hours so you can see the true temp. It does sound like it's a bit hot and needs to move up but you won't know unless you leave the rock under there for a while.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

leanneb85

5 Year Member
Leave the rock under the the light for a couple hours so you can see the true temp. It does sound like it's a bit hot and needs to move up but you won't know unless you leave the rock under there for a while.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Thank you. The slate has been under the lamp for about 30 mins and it's 28

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thank you. The slate has been under the lamp for about 30 mins and it's 28

Leave it for a few more hours. I have a piece that is always under my lamp so I can spot check it when ever I feel like it.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)