Carrying crates for Leopard Tortoises

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
My adult redfoots get loaded into a laundry basket to go from indoors to out or into the soak. If we are driving (moving) they go in rubbermaid bins.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have only moved my tort on short journeys to and from the vets in the car, so just use one of these with an old towel in the bottom of it and if I have to use it during colder months, I put a heat source in too. The box restricts what the tort can see and stops him getting too stressed.
14218P.jpg

Then because he is approx 4kg I don't just rely on the handles to carry it but put it inside one of these.
shelf-tidy-plastic-storage-box-red-7l-1922-p.jpg

Bronbowie

Garden Grove, California
I have only moved my tort on short journeys to and from the vets in the car, so just use one of these with an old towel in the bottom of it and if I have to use it during colder months, I put a heat source in too. The box restricts what the tort can see and stops him getting too stressed.
14218P.jpg

Then because he is approx 4kg I don't just rely on the handles to carry it but put it inside one of these.
shelf-tidy-plastic-storage-box-red-7l-1922-p.jpg
Great idea to put a towel in there to cushion the ride. When my tortoise get bigger, I'd like to take them to the park to munch on clovers and dandelions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I used to carry mine from inside too out I would use a cloth shopping bag. This way I could carry two at a time or put the straps/handles over my shoulder to have my hands free.
For the two times I had to take one in the car I used a wash tub.

Bronbowie

Garden Grove, California
When I used to carry mine from inside too out I would use a cloth shopping bag. This way I could carry two at a time or put the straps/handles over my shoulder to have my hands free.
For the two times I had to take one in the car I used a wash tub.
Here is what I just got. It's 6 in. by 9 in.20180731_142041.jpeg20180731_142109.jpeg20180731_142118.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That will work but probably not when he's full grown.
At that size I just carried them in my hand if just one or with my clutch of 4 I would use the wash tub.
As adults I used the cloth shopping bags.

Bronbowie

Garden Grove, California
At that size I just carried them in my hand if just one or with my clutch of 4 I would use the wash tub.

I'll put a wash cloth or towel on the bottom, just to absorb any jostling. A shopping bag for sure would be better with a towel. The carrier looks gargantuan next to him :) It's 6" x 9" and he's 2.5" x 2."

Bronbowie

Garden Grove, California

Oh, of course. I'm looking at a nice laundry basket, or a cat crate when my tortoise is fully grown.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find that opaque plastic tubs work best for this. An 18 gallon bin costs about $5 or $6. I use them for soaking too:
IMG_4405.JPG