CHE trouble

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Hey gang. Got my humidity under control, got my UV light working. Basking bulb is perfect.

CHE though. 100w is 10 inches from enclosure bottom, but only heating tank to around 75 at night. Is this too cold for my sulcata hatchling?

He seems a bit sluggish in the morning, but warms up quickly under the basking lamp. And eats a bundle, then he doesn't slow down!

Are these ok signs?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes too cold. If you bought an off brand che then that's why you are not getting good heat. If it is a name brand then it may be defective or you losing heat if open top enclosure. Also make sure the che is in a big dome light fixture.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. As Barb already said, yes, 75 is too cold.

How large of a “tank” are you trying to heat up with just the one CHE? Is the enclosure covered with a lid thst will help keep the heat inside? There’s nothing wrong with using more than one CHE or with using a larger wattage CHE.

Zoomed has 150 watt CHEs - https://www.lllreptile.com/products/36-zoo-med-150-watt-ceramic-heater

Just make sure you use a thermostat with your CHEs & make sure the heat probe is at tortoise level. What are using to determine temps? Digital, IR or analog gauges? Where is the sensor located?

Good luck

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
Yes too cold. If you bought an off brand che then that's why you are not getting good heat. If it is a name brand then it may be defective or you losing heat if open top enclosure. Also make sure the che is in a big dome light fixture.
Closed enclosure. Using a zoo med 100w and it is in a dome. I just bought it about 3 days ago and this morning the "bulb" is barely warm. I'll return it.

Recommend another brand?

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
Greetings. As Barb already said, yes, 75 is too cold.

How large of a “tank” are you trying to heat up with just the one CHE? Is the enclosure covered with a lid thst will help keep the heat inside? There’s nothing wrong with using more than one CHE or with using a larger wattage CHE.

Zoomed has 150 watt CHEs - https://www.lllreptile.com/products/36-zoo-med-150-watt-ceramic-heater

Just make sure you use a thermostat with your CHEs & make sure the heat probe is at tortoise level. What are using to determine temps? Digital, IR or analog gauges? Where is the sensor located?

Good luck
I'll give the 150 a try, and if that fails, maybe 2. Running a 40 gallon. Closed lid. 4 digital temp/humidity sensors, plus an IR thermometer.

100w may just be too small it seems.

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
UPDATE:

100W held at 81-87 tonight. Humidity died a bit to 76%, bad CHE maybe?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Closed enclosure. Using a zoo med 100w and it is in a dome. I just bought it about 3 days ago and this morning the "bulb" is barely warm. I'll return it.

Recommend another brand?
Are you running the CHE on a thermostat?

Even a 100 watt CHE should be running at several hundred degrees when it is on. They will literally singe your skin if touched, so "barely warm" means something is wrong somewhere. If the bulb were hot but just not creating enough heat for your enclosure, I'd say get a second bulb or go higher wattage, but your CHE doesn't seem to be working correctly for some reason.

I recently discovered bad wiring in one of my domes. It could be that, or it could be a faulty CHE, which is possible but very unusual.

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
Are you running the CHE on a thermostat?

I recently discovered bad wiring in one of my domes. It could be that, or it could be a faulty CHE, which is possible but very unusual.

Have a recommendation for a decent thermostat?

I hadn't thought of wiring. I'll check the dome today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Just do a search. Lots of them available and I don't know of any that don't work. I've been buying the Inkbird ones most recently.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD

This is the one Tom recommended, received mine the other day. Working very well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-101909_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-101909_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220114-101852_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-101852_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Recommend another brand?
I would get the same brand. It's more likely just a bad bulb not a bad company. Usually they are good ones.