Emptysea

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi everyone, I had a question about picking a breeder or where you purchase your baby from. There are dozens and dozens of websites that offer baby torts and I was wondering how you pick one? Prices vary from shop to shop but overall, each website says similar things about their animals. Is there something I should look for to narrow them down? I know I want captive breed but there are still of dozens of people/shops.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First buy right from a breeder. A lot of the places you are looking sounds like retailers more then breeders.
What kind of tort are you looking for? We may have a breeder on here. Which is the best breeders to buy from. Members of this forum get all the correct not out dated info.

Emptysea

Arizona
I’m looking for a Hermann or Russian. I’m not ready to purchase until early July but I’m trying to get ahead and do my research.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have great breeders of both on the forum. They would be the best places to buy from.
Other then forum members, you want to ask how the torts were started. Hot and humid or hot and dry. You want the humid. Do they give daily soaks or only once in awhile. Hatchlings should be soaked daily.
Retailers most likely won't do neither. Most retailers won't know how their torts were started unless they happen to hatch them, themselves.
Watch our for sale section for the species you are interested in.

KBeam

Central Illinois
Hi everyone, I had a question about picking a breeder or where you purchase your baby from. There are dozens and dozens of websites that offer baby torts and I was wondering how you pick one? Prices vary from shop to shop but overall, each website says similar things about their animals. Is there something I should look for to narrow them down? I know I want captive breed but there are still of dozens of people/shops.

I’m a first time tortoise keeper and after deciding on a hermann’s I began to research. I just recently purchased a little Eastern Hermanns from Chris Leone. Even if you choose another breeder, go through his website at Hermanni Haven. His prices are competitive and to me it worth the wait to get a properly started baby. Read through the thread on failure to thrive [emoji20]. That will give you a great place to formulate questions for any breeder.

Emptysea

Arizona
I’m a first time tortoise keeper and after deciding on a hermann’s I began to research. I just recently purchased a little Eastern Hermanns from Chris Leone. Even if you choose another breeder, go through his website at Hermanni Haven. His prices are competitive and to me it worth the wait to get a properly started baby. Read through the thread on failure to thrive [emoji20]. That will give you a great place to formulate questions for any breeder.
After research, I actually just got a Hermann from Chris! I’ll be getting our sweet little Hermann in July