Cilantro?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
There is a gene for cilantro. OR6A2. If you have it, cilantro tastes soapy and unpleasant to you. If you don't have it, cilantro tastes great to you. I don't have it. Apparently, everyone else on this thread does.
I don't have it either. I like cilantro, but it's very easy to overdo. I was surprised that there's actually a gene for it when I had my DNA done.
And it's interesting that people are so adamant about their opinion of it. Folks either like it or hate it...no just take it or leave it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have nothing against real Mexican food. But I'm not a fan of salsa. And I can't say for sure that it's because of the cilantro or not.
I like dipping taco or potato chips in salsa but I still can't say I like cilantro either. Even though I've had it fresh chopped by a Mexican lady. I think she used it like you would with parsley. Just as a spice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have nothing against real Mexican food. But I'm not a fan of salsa. And I can't say for sure that it's because of the cilantro or not.
If it wasn't for salsa, I wouldn't be eating any vegetables at all. I can just eat salsa with a spoon. When I have chips and salsa, its mostly salsa with a little bit of chip used as a delivery vehicle.

I don't think I've ever had salsa without cilantro in it. I'm not sure that exists, so that would explain why you don't like it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
People from Southern CA tend to be a bit spoiled when it comes to Mexican food. We have lots of real Mexicans here and they make the most wonderful Mexican food. Real Mexican food. Not that Americanized c r a p. When we get out of Southern CA and into other parts of the country the Mexican food tends to be lacking, to put it nicely. I found a few in Georgia that were terrible, and two that were great. Same thing in Florida. I wasn't expecting to find good Mexican food in Chicago, and I was skeptical too when the waiter suggested that soup. He told us it was a favorite of the regulars, so we all gave it a try. We all unanimously thought it was excellent.
Los Angeles is number 1 with Chicago number 2 on a lot of different sites. Of course this may change yearly. I know cilantro is never hard to find here.