Cilantro?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I am one of the 10% of people where cilantro tastes, and makes everything it is cooked with, taste like soap. I understand cilantro is a good thing to feed tortoises, but even the smell makes my stomach turn.

Out of curiosity, any other cilantro-phobes run into this issue? I know its just an "option" that can be not used, but I do like to offer easily-available variety and god knows cilantro is everywhere...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love it. I put it on everything. Had it on my breakfast burrito yesterday. Love it in salsa too. I found a Mexican restaurant in Chicago, of all places, that served a cilantro soup. Best soup I've ever had.

My tortoises love it and I mix it in to their pile on occasion. My wife cooks with it and always buys more than we need because its so cheap, so the tortoises get the leftovers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love it. I put it on everything. Had it on my breakfast burrito yesterday. Love it in salsa too. I found a Mexican restaurant in Chicago, of all places, that served a cilantro soup. Best soup I've ever had.

My tortoises love it and I mix it in to their pile on occasion. My wife cooks with it and always buys more than we need because its so cheap, so the tortoises get the leftovers.
Chicago has some of the best restaurants. Does surprise me that you found a good Mexican restaurant. We have many. Not sure I'd want cilantro soup though. I don't love it that much.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A single sprig of cilantro can and does ruin just about everything it touches
Now I have to try cilantro just for GP 😭 I've had it fresh in fresh salsa so I have no clue what it tastes like by itself. A little bunch is fairly cheap at Kroger's so we'll see what I think when I go shopping next time.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Now I have to try cilantro just for GP 😭 I've had it fresh in fresh salsa so I have no clue what it tastes like by itself. A little bunch is fairly cheap at Kroger's so we'll see what I think when I go shopping next time.
You can tell me what it tastes like, please. I had heard about the soap taste in some people and figure I'll be one of those. If a restaurant fish tastes soapy to me, it's one step over the line toward rotten.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You can tell me what it tastes like, please. I had heard about the soap taste in some people and figure I'll be one of those. If a restaurant fish tastes soapy to me, it's one step over the line toward rotten.
I don't think it tastes like soap. It's just very unpleasant and overbearing.
To me

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hope it won't be like getting my mouth washed out with soap eek. It didn't seem like that in fresh salsa made by my Hispanic friends. Maybe they were just being nice...😉😁 and just used it to spice it up 😜

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I remember from a high school science class learning that all people do not taste the same thing when they taste the same item. So it might not be odd that some like or dislike something. They are not having the same experience.
It's why I recon that some strange individuals will settle for Pepsi when there's Coke available

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hope it won't be like getting my mouth washed out with soap eek. It didn't seem like that in fresh salsa made by my Hispanic friends. Maybe they were just being nice...😉😁 and just used it to spice it up 😜
I personally can't imagine thar taste lending a hand to make anything better.
Sorry.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
M
I remember from a high school science class learning that all people do not taste the same thing when they taste the same item. So it might not be odd that some like or dislike something. They are not having the same experience.
It's why I recon that some strange individuals will settle for Pepsi when there's Coke available

I remember from a high school science class learning that all people do not taste the same thing when they taste the same item. So it might not be odd that some like or dislike something. They are not having the sam experience.

Pepsi tastes like flat syrup to me. My son, a tested super taster, hates water. I think he's tasting the chemicals in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chicago has some of the best restaurants. Does surprise me that you found a good Mexican restaurant. We have many. Not sure I'd want cilantro soup though. I don't love it that much.
People from Southern CA tend to be a bit spoiled when it comes to Mexican food. We have lots of real Mexicans here and they make the most wonderful Mexican food. Real Mexican food. Not that Americanized c r a p. When we get out of Southern CA and into other parts of the country the Mexican food tends to be lacking, to put it nicely. I found a few in Georgia that were terrible, and two that were great. Same thing in Florida. I wasn't expecting to find good Mexican food in Chicago, and I was skeptical too when the waiter suggested that soup. He told us it was a favorite of the regulars, so we all gave it a try. We all unanimously thought it was excellent.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a gene for cilantro. OR6A2. If you have it, cilantro tastes soapy and unpleasant to you. If you don't have it, cilantro tastes great to you. I don't have it. Apparently, everyone else on this thread does.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
There is a gene for cilantro. OR6A2. If you have it, cilantro tastes soapy and unpleasant to you. If you don't have it, cilantro tastes great to you. I don't have it. Apparently, everyone else on this thread does.
Tom, I think its been a looong day

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not me evidently but it was just an addition to a fresh salsa made by my friend. She was a little Tex Mex from Mexico. I found the salsa so nice 🙂😁 and hot 🔥 phew 😅 but how would I know what cilantro tastes like after all that 😜

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Not me evidently but it was just an addition to a fresh salsa made by my friend. She was a little Tex Mex from Mexico. I found the salsa so nice 🙂😁 and hot 🔥 phew 😅 but how would I know what cilantro tastes like after all that 😜
I have nothing against real Mexican food. But I'm not a fan of salsa. And I can't say for sure that it's because of the cilantro or not.