Clarification Question

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
So, a couple questions, just clarifying things....

1. My leo tort is about 4 years old now, I am guessing that would classify her as a juvenile now, correct?
2. IF SO, does the high humidity still need to be a huge factor. From reading through threads it sounds like it is most important for hatchlings to have this high humidity to have nice smooth shells.
3. IF SO, (ie if they DO need this high humidity) how do we keep this in outdoor enclosures? It seems many have hide boxes that incorporate the higher humidity but also give the tort a place to go that's warm and/or cooler for weather changes. Is this enough?

I am in New Mexico and we have pretty mild winters, so I would LIKE to have her out year round (except the week or so it does snow, we do have a indoor enclosure available) and have this hide box available for her to get out of the colder nights. I am doing as much reading as I can, but as you all know there is A LOT of info to search through! Thanks again.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I believe the humidity becomes less important, but hydration is still very important. Your tort will continue to grow, so humidity is still needed. The humid night box is what i do for my older guys. Remember though with high humidity, you have to keep them warm to prevent illness. I keep my night boxes over 80 F.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I see LOTS of care instructions for hatchlins (which seems to be that critical time), came anyone direct me to a thread or care sheet more directed to juveniles or adults??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure really if we have one. Tom, who wrote the ones listed below for high humidity for hatchlings unto about 2 years or 8 inches, also recommends a humid hide for when they are larger.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
So, it sounds like if they are outdoors and have a place to go to that is humid it is okay.

Also, you say at 2 years they are around 8 inches???

Jesse is right around 4 years and about 7 inches and about 1lb 6.6oz or 640g

I just took measurements last night (I had great records her first year, but have since crashed a computer and lost most of it, am going to try and keep a better documentation of everything....) Again, I can not really find a good source of how big she SHOULD be, mostly things saying it all depends.... So would you say she is underweight/malnourished or anything?

BD920F06-8842-41AC-BB6C-634CED4D4C2B_zpsx6eue83k.jpg

F8936F69-86B4-45BA-BEA4-48E26920EEA5_zpsloyxg0ug.jpg

242F5892-4DC4-44E4-B7C3-7F623D084D7A_zpslvq0mlda.jpg

Male? Female? Best guess is female...
5B63F13C-AF46-41D4-91F1-779B93C0FCC6_zpsgaosjyhb.jpg

5845D969-F39B-4EB7-88A6-69A929C190FB_zps7tb7a8ce.jpg

Injuries from dog bites ~ 3 years ago
60B479EF-F953-43E7-9606-168A8B6F8AEC_zpsfx4k328u.jpg

FE8FD840-0536-45BA-A994-2F0523340422_zpsviszjork.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

1. My leo tort is about 4 years old now, I am guessing that would classify her as a juvenile now, correct?
2. IF SO, does the high humidity still need to be a huge factor. From reading through threads it sounds like it is most important for hatchlings to have this high humidity to have nice smooth shells.
3. IF SO, (ie if they DO need this high humidity) how do we keep this in outdoor enclosures? It seems many have hide boxes that incorporate the higher humidity but also give the tort a place to go that's warm and/or cooler for weather changes. Is this enough?

I am in New Mexico and we have pretty mild winters, so I would LIKE to have her out year round (except the week or so it does snow, we do have a indoor enclosure available) and have this hide box available for her to get out of the colder nights. I am doing as much reading as I can, but as you all know there is A LOT of info to search through! Thanks again.

1. Yes,a juvenile.

2. I would not keep a juvenile leopard housed in a high humidity, closed chamber full time (like I did with the hatchlings-yearlings). ...not because I think the humidity is bad rather because I feel the benefits of living in a large outdoor yard are more important than a smaller indoor space.

3. I do not worry about or monitor outdoor enclosure humidity, at all.
I DO provide and monitor a moderately humid heated house. (Moderate meaning 60-70%. My hydrometer still measures that% as "high humidity" but compared to the 80-99% I used in the chambers, I view that as moderate.)
I personally think a moderately humid heated house outside is enough. They are not exposed to/basking under the hot dessicating light bulbs when they live outside. So far, I've seen ok new growth from using occasional soaks, constant access to water and the humid house.

If I were you, I'd build a 4'x4' copy of @Tom 's insulated night box. Then add vinyl flooring and damp substrate like I did. Have multiple water dishes in the yard, like shallow ponds your tort can drink from or walk through (self soak) and occasionally soak her. Water down her yard extra on those really hot days. Let a good portion of her yard grow tall, thick grasses or weed patches. Water well and the base of these plant areas will stay moist (humid) longer than just a bare ground or manicured lawn.

Don't worry about size. Humid started torts grow faster. Not because we try to achieve that, it's just a side effect of proper hydration ;)
My 2 year old is 10" and nearing 6lbs... Well 2 years and 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Heather's answer was excellent. I would add:
1. This is a size thing, not an age thing. Once they reach reproduction size, they are no longer a juvenile. It also depends on which type (or mix of types) of leopard you have from which part of their enormous range.
2. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Size and age really doesn't matter. Heather's suggestion of moderate humidity in an outdoor heated box is working well for me too. Indoors, you'll need a large closed chamber. Like this, or bigger: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
3. Damp earth, sprinklers, misters and lots of plants are all methods of increasing outdoor humidity, but if your air is dry, its dry. Regular soaks and good hydration tend to help in drier climates.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
So, it sounds like if they are outdoors and have a place to go to that is humid it is okay.

Also, you say at 2 years they are around 8 inches???

Jesse is right around 4 years and about 7 inches and about 1lb 6.6oz or 640g

While I would say she is not big for her age, that doesn't seem abnormal or alarming to me. There is so much variation. If she were 4 y.o. and 4", that would be cause for concern.