Cleaning Your Tortoise/ Tortoise Hygiene

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Just as anything personal tortoise hygiene is of the most importance to me. So once a week I bath and soak all of my torts in fresh clean luke warm water and brush their shells clean of junk with new tooth brushes ( Dollar a piece) ...note this is done seperately for each tortoise. Also i use a mini sponge to clean off their face and all of their exposed skin. At first they hated this but now they enjoy getting their beaks cleaned and especially their feet they seem to enjoy it.

Anyone else on here have tortoises that love being cleaned?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise are dirty. My outdoor sulcatas all have a thick coat of dried mud on them right now. They seem to like it that way.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My tortoise are dirty. My outdoor sulcatas (CDTs) all have a thick coat of dried mud on them right now. They seem to like it that way.

I smiled at the mere thought of approaching the men folk here with the cleaning tools you outlined....fun stuff.... they would let me, and then they would retreat to either their natural dug burrows, flicking tuffs of dirt on their way down....or into their hides with scowls glaring back at me----the stink eye....lol :p:p:p:p:p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The only time I really clean a turtle/tortoise is when it first comes in. I'll trim the beak if needed and give a good scrub down. After that it's either they get misted with the hose while in the outside pen or just a standard soak in a dish tub.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
ascott said:
My tortoise are dirty. My outdoor sulcatas (CDTs) all have a thick coat of dried mud on them right now. They seem to like it that way.

I smiled at the mere thought of approaching the men folk here with the cleaning tools you outlined....fun stuff.... they would let me, and then they would retreat to either their natural dug burrows, flicking tuffs of dirt on their way down....or into their hides with scowls glaring back at me----the stink eye....lol :p:p:p:p:p

Always makes me frown when they do that....i'm like well at least they were clean for 5 mins. On the bright side i'm sure it helps keep harmful bacteria from entering our fellow friends.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Other than their soaks I had not thought of giving them a real bath, I mean they live in dirt...lol
Now that you have put this idea in my head I think at least one of mine would really like this, I have to try it out. :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I do my big ones a few times a year. But the little ones get a chlorahexadine scrub bath every few months.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
None. I use straight 2% chlorahexadine. But i do not get it anywhere near the head, and thouroughly rinse. I buy a bunch of jusy super cheap dollar store brushes and throw them out each time too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.