Climbing etc.

Pjfarm

Location (City and/or State)
Nh usa
So do RT like to climb ramps? Do other "activities" other than burrow? We now have Rocky on a camera fed to an app and while interesting...he looks bored.

Bambam1989

East Texas
My tort likes to go up and down his ramp(not a RT) I also think it's a great way to strengthen the legs. Just make sure your tort can't fall off the sides.
For more recommendations I would have to see the enclosure..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My RT loves climbing. He once climbed up a tree. He climbs onto the window sill in his winter enclosure, up on his hide and over a log. All that stuff is close together and not by his basking light, so if he has ever went onto his back he has been able to right himself.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Our Russian is outdoors when she is not hibernating and when not walking the perimeter of the yard, she climbs all day long. Skids down rocks as well; she does it on purpose, climbs up certain rocks then shoots herself down.

Tries to climb the walls as well, that’s why tortoises need to be in escape-proof enclosures!

I know you’ve been looking at larger enclosures; make sure he’s got plenty of other walking around space in addition to the ramp.

Pjfarm

Nh usa
Apparently Rocky does like to climb. Having the camera on him has really helped me see his activities. We are working on a new larger enclosure and for now take him out to have him venture supervised around inside.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180205-142143.png
    Screenshot_20180205-142143.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
This is quite normal for rts. Mine was all over her enclosure. I had to build her a 2nd deck. She was wild and very fun to watch.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Apparently Rocky does like to climb. Having the camera on him has really helped me see his activities. We are working on a new larger enclosure and for now take him out to have him venture supervised around inside.

You might want to check out our care sheets. Your enclosure is much too small for a Russian. We recommend something around 8 feet x 4 feet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You might want to check out our care sheets. Your enclosure is much too small for a Russian. We recommend something around 8 feet x 4 feet.
"As large as you have the room for" is always the best suggestion.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
"As large as you have the room for" is always the best suggestion.
I like saying a hard number, as to many people "as large as you have room for" sounds more like "as much room as you want to give to them", which means they'll remain in small tanks. But yes, as big as possible is a better suggestion.