Closed Chamber Tortoise Table Question

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
When can a golden Greek be moved to an open tortoise table? Mine is still just a hatchling and he’s in a enclosed chamber for humidity, but I was wondering when he should be switched to an open aired tortoise table? Thanks!!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Yes, a tortoise, at whatever age can be housed in either an open enclosure or a closed chambered enclosure. The disadvantages of housing a young tortoise in an open enclosures versus a closed chambers can be easily found in tortoise forum if you're not already fully aware.

1. Is there a specific reason for the change?

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
Yes, a tortoise, at whatever age can be housed in either an open enclosure or a closed chambered enclosure. The disadvantages of housing a young tortoise in an open enclosures versus a closed chambers can be easily found in tortoise forum if you're not already fully aware.

1. Is there a specific reason for the change?

Well I heard hatchlings shouldn’t be kept in an open tortoise table because they can dehydrate really easy and die, so he’s in a closed chamber with high humidity. I know they as a drier species an adult Greek won’t need as high humidity and can live in an open tortoise table with a little bit of misting. I was wondering when he should be moved to a tortoise table. Like I said, he’s still in hatchling phase, but I was wondering so I can know when to create his tortoise table. I was thinking he shouldn’t be moved until a year, possibly two years old, or does it go off of his size? I have no idea! Either way, he seems happy in his enclosed chamber, thankfully!!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I have Mesopotamian (Golden Greek) hatchlings (a couple months old), and their enclosure is kept warm and dry with little humidity - though they are provided a humid hide. They are more of a dry desert subspecies. These Greeks don't like too much moisture and are susceptible to getting respiratory infections and other illnesses if their habitat is too wet.

I soak mine every morning, keep a water dish in their enclosure, and provide a humid hide.

Just what I do with mine. My marokkensis and cyrenaica hatchlings are in duplicate enclosures. Only my ibera get more moist and humid environments.

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
I have Mesopotamian (Golden Greek) hatchlings (a couple months old), and their enclosure is kept warm and dry with little humidity - though they are provided a humid hide. They are more of a dry desert subspecies. These Greeks don't like too much moisture and are susceptible to getting respiratory infections and other illnesses if their habitat is too wet.

I soak mine every morning, keep a water dish in their enclosure, and provide a humid hide.

Just what I do with mine. My marokkensis and cyrenaica hatchlings are in duplicate enclosures. Only my ibera get more moist and humid environments.

That’s awesome! Congrats on your guys! I just love baby torts!

I have done extensive research for three years and just got my guy on Halloween. I read a LOT about high humidity for baby tortoises, because tortoise hatchlings can get extremely dehydrated and die overnight from dehydration! Even when they seem fine. I feel MUCH safer having him in an enclosed chamber because of this. He of course gets soaked and has a water dish as well!

Lumos seems super super happy in his enclosure, tending to curl up right on the line of his damp side and dry side of his enclosure. He likes the damped soil the best and actually won’t curl up in the dry soil, (don’t worry he does go over to the dry side and basks under the heat lamp! He just likes to sleep in the damper soil!).

I find that super interesting but there is many many different ways to raise tortoises!!
This is just the route I decided to raise mine!

Oh - and I keep saying “soil” but he’s on coconut fiber, haha. I was just wondering when it’s okay to switch him from his enclosed chamber to an open one. Probably when he grows bigger versus actual age since tortoises grows at different rates. I just wanted to see what others thought.