Questions about starting hatchling

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Still don't have a tortoise in residence, but DH is pretty much on board. It's more a matter of time line right now. :).

I've been doing a lot of research but there's a few things I'd like to clarify about hatchling husbandry.

I'm likely getting a Greek (hopefully iberian) when the time comes. But there's also a slight chance I could be getting another subspecies, or mix of subspecies. There's an even tinier chance I might get a hermanns, but I'm pretty set on iberian greek.

Is it best to start a Greek in a table or somewhere with a little more humidity control, such as closed chamber, large tank, or modified bin?
I assume with a table it would be beneficial to do a humid hide set up? But what's "best practice" here? And I know everyone does different things, but what do you reccomend?

If you start your hatchling in temporary digs in order to bolster humidity, or just in general, what size enclosure do you use to start your babies?

If you start in something smaller, temporary, or with higher humidity, at what point (age or size) do you start transitioning your tort to an open table/more adult set up?

Thanks in advance. I want to ask the questions, even potentially dumb ones before I have a living, breathing animal to mess things up with.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I can't help with a Greek because I don't have them, but be sure to read the beginner mistakes thread before you start buying stuff:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Have read :) everyone has been super helpful too. I think I have the basics down more or less, especially for an adult, it just seems nothing seems to say how long a young tortoise falls into the hatchling category and when it's ready to be moved out of the warm, humid environment into a less intensive set up. And I have just a few questions about how to handle a hatchling. I know I will 99% be getting a "started" hatchling(seems to me a month to a couple months old maybe) due to my location and availability. I'll talk more to the breeder when the time comes closer too, but I like to get a variety of opinions!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Anyone??

(Also that moment you realize your phone autocorrected ibera to iberian because you've been doing a lot of genealogy...haha)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have my Russian hatchling in a 40 gallon breeder tank. He is seven months old. I'm getting ready to move him up to a Christmas tree box. I'm hoping he will be able to stay in there for a couple years. At least one year anyway. Somewhere on here I read when the difference between a hatchling and a juvenile and an adult is but I can't remember it. So for now I am considering mine a hatchling until it is a-year-old and a juvenile until it is three years old. Hopefully somebody with more experience will come along and correct this if I'm wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't raise greeks, but care is pretty similar for all the common Testudo species.

I would start with a 40-60 gallon tank or tub and mostly cover the top.

I start paying less attention to humidity when they reach 100 grams or so.

This is how I do it for russian tortoises:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
If I were to somehow come into possession of a hatchling greek, I would do it the same way.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Thanks guys!

So would it probably be fair to say:

Until 100g keep in high humidity in a smaller, hatchling habitat (bin or tank)

After 100g it's probably safe to move to an adult set up,(probably reasonably moist though?)

I'm about to read the link you shared. Clicked and it's very in depth!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
You can house them in a smaller enclosure just while they get out of their hatchling stage. I usually provide a humid hide that helps with the humidity. This usually helps a lot!:):tort:

Yes I plan on a large tortoise table once older. Previous posters advice was controlled smaller humid environment until 100g- then adult encloser, likely with some humid hide and focus on humidity.

Manteca, CA
Yes I plan on a large tortoise table once older. Previous posters advice was controlled smaller humid environment until 100g- then adult encloser, likely with some humid hide and focus on humidity.
Yes! thats what I did. I waited for him to reach 100 g. heres a good tip: (Use a plastic container and turn it upside-down, then you make a small opening big enough for him to get through. Add some damp sphagnum moss to keep the humidity up.) I would recommend putting the hide on the warm side of the enclosure.:);)

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Thanks. I want to get everything right so my tort won't have to suffer the consequences of my lack of experience.