COLD DARK ROOM

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
it's actually amazing and hard to fathom how old fossils are!
I once read in a book about the amount of trees or vegetation that would have been required to create 1 gallon of gasoline. I don't remember the amount, but I remember being totally gobsmacked: it takes a LOT!!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I am intrigued!!!! WHAT, exactly, IS the definition of a dinosaur? :)
Not to intrude, but as I recall a dinosaur is defined as being a subset of the archosaurs with a pelvis that orients the hind legs vertically, beneath the body. I'm thinking an endothermic physiology is also a characteristic, but not sure on that but.
Steve is pretty much correct , the back legs are directly under the body instead of coming out sideways and then bending down at the knee joint as in lizards, crocodiles etc. In modern phylogenic classification they are descried as the group containing the birds and the most recent Ceratopsians (horned dinosaurs like Triceratops) that were the most recent group of dinosaurs to evolve and their most recent common ancestor and all descendants.
Pterosaurs do not fit either of these definitions, as their legs emerge horizontally from the body at the pelvis and are not ancestral to the birds or Ceratopsians. They are descended from another closely related group, but not dinosaurs.
Regarding being endothermic, this is still a matter of great debate, some say yes and some say no
I believe that early dinosaurs were cold-blooded, but that at least some groups evolved warm blooded systems quite early on.
Most, if not all, later dinosaurs were warm blooded, as, indeed, were at least the later pterosaurs.