johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
I just nearly caused a fire... o_O
I changed Setup a bit yesterday.
It looks like this:
View attachment 172782
Last night,Spud burrowed binder the fern and knocked it over. This morning I sat it up again and when I came to check on him I smelt burning. The fern was touching the bulb and it was melting.

at least you caught it before any disasters:)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Getting worried about Spud now...
Yesterday I was going and he wasn't up. He woke up just as I was going so I just had to throw some florettes salad mix in. He ate it all. I came back and got him his proper food but all he did was trample on it.

This morning He didn't get up. He was awake but didn't move from his spot so I moved him under his lamp. He ate a dandelion flower and I decided to take him outside. He took a few bites out of his food and then walked off. He did munch at the living salad a bit so I bought him back inside hoping to get him to eat. Once again he wasn't interested.

It's not like him to be off of his food :(
I'm worried. The only thing that has changed is that yesterday I changed his substrate (like usual) but I moved things around a bit.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks.
I have put him in his outdoor enclosure. He has eaten cress and salad but no weeds that I have given him. He just buried himself outside in the shady area.
Even Spud might be feeling the heat a bit. Soak him regularly while he's not eating properly. He has actually eaten, so it's not that bad.

The stuff he's eaten is the watery stuff, so maybe he's feeling a bit dry with the sudden change in the weather. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My thermometer reckons it's 34 degrees in the sun!
It probably is. It's 23C in the shade here! When it gets hot, they tend to head for cover and become more active early and late in the day. Sometimes after dark.

It does no harm to leave food in the enclosure before you go to bed. Your tort won't mind if it's a bit wilted when he gets peckish.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe has headed for cover now that I have stopped working in the garden. He was only out because he wanted to chase after me and head-butt me.

I try to garden early in summer, before he's warmed up, but it was 15C here at midnight last night when we got back from the O2. He didn't exactly cool down much.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Just ordered a new thermometer as It reckons it was 45 degrees... Now it's gone down to 40 and it keeps jumping all over the place! o_O maybe that's why Spud wasn't as active lately... The thermometer was showing the wrong temp o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
18 TIL I DIE!

Excellent not ght watching Bryan Adams at the O2 in London :)

Laugh from the audience as the line that's supposed to rhyme with "Sure feels good to be alive" was changed to "18 going on 56". I guess when he wrote it he never imagined he'd still be singing it long after he turned 55 :D
I have seen Bryan Adams so many times and always a fantastic show. He really is a great entertainer.