COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
@JoesMum linda iv been out weeding can Clyde eat both these one is a prickly thistle thing and I think other is a smooth sow thistle
Sorry for the slow reply. Don't bother with proper prickly thistles. The sow thistles and dandelion-looking things can all be fed leaf and flower

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
Sorry for the slow reply. Don't bother with proper prickly thistles. The sow thistles and dandelion-looking things can all be fed leaf and flower
Thanks Linda my notifications actin up so dint get the reply are the proper thistles not safe for him to eat just out of curiosity ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks Linda my notifications actin up so dint get the reply are the proper thistles not safe for him to eat just out of curiosity ;)
Proper thistles aren't harmful; they're just painful to pick and, unless the leaves are very young and tender, it's unlikely your tort will eat them.

The only plant with a dandelion type flower on the "don't eat" list as far as I am aware is Prickly Lettuce It has quite big leaves, but doesn't look much like lettuce. If you follow the link you can see pictures.

It is better to post pictures of the whole plant, ideally in the ground, for context when you need a plant ID.

Also, the Plant ID forum has many experts like Iochroma browsing it... so you have a better chance of a quick and accurate reply. Many of our tortoise friendly weeds also grow in the US which is useful!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all.

I woke up far too early, at 5.30am, this morning needing the bathroom and with itchy mosquito bites :( I got up so I didn't disturb JoesDad.

First job this morning is to take my neighbour to her hospital appointment. Parking there is a nightmare, and we have the school run traffic to contend with, so we're leaving at 8.30am

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Good morning all.

I woke up far too early, at 5.30am, this morning needing the bathroom and with itchy mosquito bites :( I got up so I didn't disturb JoesDad.

First job this morning is to take my neighbour to her hospital appointment. Parking there is a nightmare, and we have the school run traffic to contend with, so we're leaving at 8.30am

mums taxi :p

good morning mum, hope all goes well

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
Proper thistles aren't harmful; they're just painful to pick and, unless the leaves are very young and tender, it's unlikely your tort will eat them.

The only plant with a dandelion type flower on the "don't eat" list as far as I am aware is Prickly Lettuce It has quite big leaves, but doesn't look much like lettuce. If you follow the link you can see pictures.

It is better to post pictures of the whole plant, ideally in the ground, for context when you need a plant ID.

Also, the Plant ID forum has many experts like Iochroma browsing it... so you have a better chance of a quick and accurate reply. Many of our tortoise friendly weeds also grow in the US which is useful!
Thanks Linda I would normally put the whole plant it's just my dad picked them and only the flowers

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What a £&@?$# nightmare! The traffic was unbelievably bad. It took me an hour to do 8 miles to the hospital! Just as well we left early... because I expected parking to be the issue not the traffic.

I ended up using the narrowest of country lanes to hack round the problems on the main road.

The upside is that my neighbour only had to wait about 5 minutes before she went in for her endoscopy appointment.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
so my efforts have fallen on deaf ears again, the out of the list of materials and products we need... we got 3 in total.